PTO Clutch on a huskee MTD tractor

Old 07-10-08, 03:10 PM
PTO Clutch on a huskee MTD tractor

My tractor went kappooot! here recently. 25hp huskee (Tractor supply brand) made by MTD with Briggs 25hp intek.

Symptoms: When engaging the PTO in the past, I noticed there was a loud 'chirp' noise when engaging. It would go away after getting up to speed, but just did not seem appropriate. I will assume this was a faulting PTO clutch bearing.

As I was cutting my back hill (which obviously put some pressure on the engine/tractor) The tractor suddendly became sluggish, and stopped pretty rapidly following with a bit of smoke. The smoke was later to be discovered as a burnt up main drive belt.

Questions: obviously, I need to replace my drive belt. However, the tractor will not start at all right now. I can hear the starter attempt to turn the flywheel, and a click/chink is the only thing that happens. What I 'believe' is that the electrical/mechanical pto brake is keeping it from turning. I assume this is a safety mechanism. While I have the deck off of the unit, I want to know if I have a bad PTO or is the PTO locked up? How can I verify that I do not have any further issues when it will not turn over the motor?

Sorry to be stupid: once I learn- I will not be as stupid!
sincerely,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-08, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Brian,

I think your chirp problem is likely a belt, and if it is just a quick chirp, that is normal. If it continues for more than half a second, then I'd say the engine to deck belt is a bit loose or worn.

The engine not cranking is probably not related to the PTO clutch, but it's possible. Can you turn the engine or move it at all with your hand? Is the transaxle bet off yet, or is it still under the mower? It could be jammed or wrapped around the pulley locking the engine.

Old 07-10-08, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the response: I have spent many hours today working on it/and researching online.

I have come to the following: hopefully I am on to something

1.) My brakes are weak on the machine, thus going down hills the tractor relies on the belt to slow the machine down. The end result is that the belt wore very quickly/especially that day.
2.) the belt snapped, and somehow caused the engine to hydrolock. I verified that the oil does have a good amount of gas mixed in now. I just need to find my sparkplug socket.

I will post if I am indeed correct... the electric pto is new to me, which has thrown everything off. It is probably much more simple than I am making it.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-08, 09:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree...I think you're looking too deeply into the problem.

The belt doesn't wear any worse slowing down the mower or speeding it up. The brakes aren't the cause of your belt problem.

The belt didn't cause the hydrolock problem. That is an entirely different issue. If there is gas in the oil, then it is filling the cylinder as well and that's the reason the engine won't turn. That is a carburetor problem. You'll need to remedy that before even running the engine anymore.

The electric pto is just a pulley that turns or doesn't. It comes on and turns the blades when you pull the switch, and shuts off and idles when you press the switch down. They rarely give any trouble, and usually when they do it is very evident and you don't have to guess as to whether or not it's bad...you'll know.