Husqvarna LTH 125 replacement motor?

Old 07-11-08, 08:02 AM
Husqvarna LTH 125 replacement motor?

I was given a 99 Husqvarna LTH 125 in pretty good shape other than the engine. I'm going to have it looked at, but I'm assuming the top end is blown (flywheel turns ~1/8" and stops with a small metalic thud from inside the engine). If its cheap enough, I'll have it fixed. If not, I'm thinking about picking up a replacement engine and doing it myself. My question is, does anyone know the shaft size for this particular engine? It is a Briggs & Stratton 12HP (I believe INTEK, but I'll have to check when I get home). Also, is there a better direct replacement engine (brand, model, or HP) that I should be considering? I have seen the 12HP B&S engines for ~$450 which is a lot cheaper than a new tractor (which I can't afford right now anyway). But, I'd pay a little more if the trade off was worth it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-08, 09:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That engine is very standard, and many will interchange with it. The shaft size should be 1" dia by 3-5/32" long with a 1/4" keyway and 7/16-20 threaded hole in the end. Most modern briggs single cylinder vertical shaft engines will interchange. Depending on model, you may have minor wiring differences, exhaust differences, and other easily fixed changes to make.

With the flywheel turning 1/8 turn and stopping, I'd say there's a really good chance you have a problem you can easily fix. Remove the flywheel and have a look at the magnets under the flywheel and the stator coil under the flywheel. I'm thinking a magnet came loose and is jamming under the flywheel. I see this a lot lately.

Old 07-12-08, 05:49 AM
Wow! I really wasn't sure what to expect when I posted my question, but that was a great answer.

Thanks cheese!

Old 07-12-08, 11:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime! Let us know what you find, or decide to do!