want to change lawnmower engines

Old 07-11-08, 08:24 AM
Smile want to change lawnmower engines

i would like to change engines on my lawnmower.the briggs 14.5 on a mtd(42 inch cut) is blown.i have a murray 12.5 (40 inch cut)briggs that runs well.i asked on another place and it said to take measurements of bolt patterns etc.i did that and as far as i can see everything will match up except the (i think this is what this is called)output shafts have different lenths.they are different lenths below the deck.one comes down like 4&3/4"the other 7&a half.now i put a socket up in the shaft&a bolt?nut is in there.so they do come off,right?so can i hopefully just switch them?any help here would be great.i never did this before but i'm up for the challenge!then if i can get this done i can figure out the what gets wired where.thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-08, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by puckett59 View Post
everything will match up except the (i think this is what this is called)output shafts have different lenths.they are different lenths below the deck.one comes down like 4&3/4"the other 7&a half.
There's more to changing an engine out than just wheather the mounting holes will match.If I read your post right,what your saying is;the crankshafts are of differant lenths.

if one sticks down 3-3/4" and the other 7-1/2 your pulley's wont line up this being so then NO,they won't enterchange.

You'll need to switch chranks,if you can.Or get another engine with the same lenth cranksaft.

Old 07-11-08, 05:03 PM
not sure if thats the crankshaft.what im talking about is what i thought hooked onto the crankshaft.is it called a pully.its where you put the belts on.1 for drivebelt the other below it belt to turn the bades

Old 07-11-08, 05:07 PM
reread your post.can't see the crankshaft.pulley still on both engines.the measurements i gave were for i guess the pulleys.how do you take the pulleys off?then i could see if i could change 1 pulley with the other,right?thanks

Old 07-11-08, 05:52 PM
You'll have to remove the pulleys with a puller first, Then check the crank length & diameter as different units use different pulley types, but inside they may be the same,, Roger

Old 07-11-08, 08:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Both engines should have the same bolt pattern and crankshaft dimensions. You'll need to use a 5/8" socket to remove the bolt up in the hole in the pulleys to get them off.

Old 07-12-08, 01:38 PM
thanks for info...question,is the bolt a regular bolt or left handed bolt?

Old 07-12-08, 11:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Regular right hand threads.

Old 07-13-08, 06:48 AM
thank you...wish me luck!