Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

want to change lawnmower engines

PA

07-11-08, 08:24 AM   #1  
want to change lawnmower engines

i would like to change engines on my lawnmower.the briggs 14.5 on a mtd(42 inch cut) is blown.i have a murray 12.5 (40 inch cut)briggs that runs well.i asked on another place and it said to take measurements of bolt patterns etc.i did that and as far as i can see everything will match up except the (i think this is what this is called)output shafts have different lenths.they are different lenths below the deck.one comes down like 4&3/4"the other 7&a half.now i put a socket up in the shaft&a bolt?nut is in there.so they do come off,right?so can i hopefully just switch them?any help here would be great.i never did this before but i'm up for the challenge!then if i can get this done i can figure out the what gets wired where.thanks

Sponsored Links

AL

07-11-08, 03:34 PM   #2  
Posted By: puckett59 everything will match up except the (i think this is what this is called)output shafts have different lenths.they are different lenths below the deck.one comes down like 4&3/4"the other 7&a half.
There's more to changing an engine out than just wheather the mounting holes will match.If I read your post right,what your saying is;the crankshafts are of differant lenths.

if one sticks down 3-3/4" and the other 7-1/2 your pulley's wont line up this being so then NO,they won't enterchange.

You'll need to switch chranks,if you can.Or get another engine with the same lenth cranksaft.

PA

07-11-08, 05:03 PM   #3  
not sure if thats the crankshaft.what im talking about is what i thought hooked onto the crankshaft.is it called a pully.its where you put the belts on.1 for drivebelt the other below it belt to turn the bades

PA

07-11-08, 05:07 PM   #4  
reread your post.can't see the crankshaft.pulley still on both engines.the measurements i gave were for i guess the pulleys.how do you take the pulleys off?then i could see if i could change 1 pulley with the other,right?thanks

Non-US

07-11-08, 05:52 PM   #5  
You'll have to remove the pulleys with a puller first, Then check the crank length & diameter as different units use different pulley types, but inside they may be the same,, Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-11-08, 08:38 PM   #6  
Both engines should have the same bolt pattern and crankshaft dimensions. You'll need to use a 5/8" socket to remove the bolt up in the hole in the pulleys to get them off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

07-12-08, 01:38 PM   #7  
thanks for info...question,is the bolt a regular bolt or left handed bolt?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-12-08, 11:29 PM   #8  
Regular right hand threads.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

07-13-08, 06:48 AM   #9  
thank you...wish me luck!

Search this Thread