Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

powerloss when blades are engaged

NY

07-11-08, 10:32 AM   #1  
powerloss when blades are engaged

To start I would like to say hello to everyone. I just bought a four year old Craftsman LT 1000 model 917.272751 with an 18 hp Briggs & Stratton OHV engine. Ok here is where the problem starts. Everything runs fine and sound beautiful until you engage the blades the motors power just cut in half. You disengaged the blades and you go back to full throttle just as it was before engaging them. I have made sure that there is nothing rapped around blades and the top of the deck and there is nothing. There is no bearing seized or anything like that. Can this be a governor problem or is it something more in depth.
Thank you for the help
Jason

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-11-08, 08:58 PM   #2  
Sounds almost like it is running on one cylinder. Check the plugs and see if both are firing, if so check compression on both cylinders.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

07-12-08, 03:06 PM   #3  
It is a briggs & stratton model # 31h777 it only has one cylinder

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-12-08, 11:33 PM   #4  
Ok (thanks for the model#)...Look at the governor arm on the side of the engine and see if it responds to the load of the blades when engaged. If it doesn't move, then something is stuck or damaged. If it does move, then you may have to reset the governor.

Before going much further, what is some history about the problem...like when did it start doing this? Was anything recently done to the engine or carburetor? Has it been sitting up for a long time? Does it run fine, just low power, when it messes up?

God bless!

NY

07-13-08, 07:53 AM   #5  
Posted By: cheese Ok (thanks for the model#)...Look at the governor arm on the side of the engine and see if it responds to the load of the blades when engaged. If it doesn't move, then something is stuck or damaged. If it does move, then you may have to reset the governor.

Before going much further, what is some history about the problem...like when did it start doing this? Was anything recently done to the engine or carburetor? Has it been sitting up for a long time? Does it run fine, just low power, when it messes up?
1st the governor moves normal until the blades are engaged then it is wide open with no movement. I just bought it last monday from my parents neighbor get this for $150 because they didn't want to deal with it. It did have a tune up this spring thinking that was the problem I guess. It just sat through the winter like it did every year. Like I said it runs fine until you engage it then the power just cuts in half. You disengage and it goes back to running fine and the governor arm goes back to moving. Thank you. Jason

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-08, 04:18 PM   #6  
Ok, look at the carb throttle shaft itself and check to see if it is moving when the governor arm moves. Make sure the governor is making it go wide open throttle, not idle (linkage connected to wrong side of throttle shaft). Does it run well with the blades engaged other than the low power?

God bless!

NY

07-13-08, 05:57 PM   #7  
Yes it runs fine except for the power loss. I will check the throttle shaft tomorrow. This is a big help. Thank you and will let you know. Jason

Search this Thread