Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs Stratton Engine Problem

GA

07-12-08, 09:09 AM   #1  
Briggs Stratton Engine Problem

Hi all..

I went this morning to cut the grass. I have a B&S 16.5 OHV engine. I started to cut and made a few passes went all of a sudden..it started making a loud noise. When I engage the blades it makes a louder sound. Seems like it's coming from the stack pulley. I believe my blelt is tight enough and my blades move freely. When I put it in gear and take my feet off the brake it barely moves. The idle pulley belt..SEEMS fine.

Please let me know!

Sponsored Links

GA

07-12-08, 07:05 PM   #2  
<Bump>

Anyone? I really need help with this...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-12-08, 10:40 PM   #3  
What kind of noise is it? Scraping, knocking, squealing, etc...?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

GA

07-13-08, 09:23 AM   #4  
Posted By: cheese What kind of noise is it? Scraping, knocking, squealing, etc...?
It's kind of like a scraping. Like something needs to be lubed or greased. But I do know it's coming from the stack pulley. When I turn it with my hand, it makes a loud scraping, sqealing sound.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-08, 04:07 PM   #5  
Sounds like the keyway in the stack pulley is sheared. When you turn the stack pulley, does the engine also turn? If not, the stack pulley needs to be replaced. DOn't run it anymore like this or you'll need a crankshaft too, if not already.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread