Murray Rider with B/S engine No Spark

Old 07-12-08, 04:18 PM
Murray Rider with B/S engine No Spark

Hello all I have searched through the previous posts and still have not found a solution to my problem. I have a Murray rider model #425007X92C with an 18hp briggs model 422707. No this is not the origional engine for this mower but I have been using it like this for 2 years. I recently started having problems starting the mower I would have to crank forever and baby the choke. I now have no spark at all. I have replaced the plugs, and coil. I have pulled the kill wire to troubleshoot and still no spark this should eliminate any safety switches, i also used an ohm meter and safety switches seem to be working fine. I have gapped the armature many times from .008 to .013 on and off of the solid state magnet in the flywheel . What else could be stealing my spark I am completely out of ideas. Thanks for any help.

Lenny B

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-08, 11:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you use a geniune briggs coil, or aftermarket coil? Is the coil right side up? Are the spark plugs grounded while you're testing?

If the coil is good, mounted properly, the engine is turning fast enough, and the kill wire is unplugged, there should be a nice blue spark at the grounded spark plug. If not, the coil or spark plug is bad.

Old 07-13-08, 08:00 AM
It was an aftermarket from Ebay. I will check resistance on it today to see it I got burned. But yes it is in properly and yes the plug is grounded to the block while cranking. And the starter is cranking plenty hard. I will report back on what I find with checking continuity on the coil.

LB

Old 07-13-08, 10:28 AM
OK i checked the tab coming off the coil for the kill wire, with the wire disconnected, and it still seems to be shorted to the case or ground. This does not seem right to me. With the coil off the mower the kill wire tab is a direct connection to the armature, which connects to the block. This would seem to be a direct short to ground which would kill my spark is this right or should minimal resistance be expected due to it being a coil anyway? Also plug wire to plug wire is about 2.7Kohm. Does this help any?

LB

Old 07-13-08, 04:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, the coil is bad. I never use aftermarket coils because of your situation. They almost never seem to work long, if at all.

Old 07-14-08, 10:14 PM
That did it went out and bought a new Brigs coil and sure enough nice blue spark. Thanks for the help. I would have at least thought I would have got a years worth of work out of a cheapo coil. No more ebay parts for me. Thanks again cheese.

Old 07-14-08, 11:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime! Glad you got it, and thanks for the update!

Search this Thread