Murray rider with 14 briggs wont turn over

Old 07-12-08, 05:41 PM
Question Murray rider with 14 briggs wont turn over

I have a 15 yr old murray 14hp B&S model 287707 that will no longer turn over. I thought it was the battery at first but a new battery did not work. I am able to get it to turn over if I run jumper cables direct to the starter. I have also taken the solenoid apart and checked continuity of it and its ok when I manually push the plunger. I am afraid of burning it up if I just connect the battery to the solenoid instead of running throught the switch. How can I be sure that the solenoid is working if I take it out? I've checked the continuity of the other safety switches (clutch, blade, seat) as well, all ok. Not sure where to go from here. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks a million.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-08, 11:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't understand what you mean about the solenoid being apart and ok when you push the plunger? The battery is already connected to the solenoid. I wonder if you are referring to something other than the solenoid?

It sounds like your solenoid could be bad, but you will have to test for power at the solenoid trigger wire to determine that. Follow the positive cable from the battery to find the solenoid.