Tractor pops fuse in start help pls

Old 07-12-08, 11:09 PM
Unhappy Tractor pops fuse in start help pls

Hello i have a Craftsman 917.256700 with a Kohler MV18S engine. Simptoms are will not start pops 30 amp fuse when ignition switch is in start but not run. Pulled wire harness to check for any abnormalities. Checked with voltmeter all safety switches (ie operator presence switches (seat, brake)). Electric PTO so Cleaned all connections. Checked Rectifier-Regulator per another thread. With the key in on position i can jump the solenoid and it will turn over, but not start. I did start replacing electrical parts so far ignition switch and solenoid. Not sure where to go from here any idea what this problem could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-08, 11:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look under the dash area on the right side and you should see 3 relays. One of these is likely the culprit. Unplug each and see if it still blows a fuse. If not, it's a bad relay. If it does still pop the fuse, we will have to do some further testing.

Old 07-13-08, 09:29 PM
no releys

Cheese there are no relays that i can find all wires go from ignition switch and pto switch to ammeter, headlight switch safety switches, solenoid.

Old 07-15-08, 12:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, some didn't have the relays. I tried to look yours up, but the sears parts site is down right now. Do you have a test light?

Old 07-15-08, 09:11 AM
test light

I have a volt meter but no test light. its an older radio shack model so i can check ohms, volts. for both ac and dc

Last edited by Artamyrda; 07-15-08 at 09:13 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-16-08, 01:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I reccomend using a test light to find the short, as the use of some voltmeters can be deceiving in this procedure.

Disconnect the battery negative cable from the battery. Install a new fuse. Connect the test light from the cable to the negative battery post. It will light brightly with the key turned on, because of the short. Unplug the fuel shutoff solenoid at the bottom of the carb if equipped. If this model has no relays, then there probably aren't any other devices that are supposed to draw current with the key on, so if the light is still burning, you still have a short. Unplug various connectors until you find one that shuts the light off and report back here with details about the test and what connector to what component made the difference. We can go from there.

Old 07-20-08, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
I reccomend using a test light to find the short, as the use of some voltmeters can be deceiving in this procedure.
I had to order a test light as could not find one where i live what i have done tho is i disconnected the starter, PTO, and all harnesses except the ignition switch and operator seat switch and turned key to start and it still blew fuse.
Thankyou btw for your help in this

Old 07-20-08, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most dept stores (walmart, target, sears, etc..) and every auto parts store should carry a 12 volt test light.