mtd ranch king onan motor

Old 07-13-08, 07:47 AM
Question mtd ranch king onan motor

Hi all hope you can help me, I have a onan motor 20 horse model# p220v-I/11437G . I took it out of the garage to mow this spring and no spark, cleaned the plugs ,changed the plugs ,cleaned the ignition found a broken wire going to ignition fixed that thinking alright got it (no) . So not knowing alot about electrical parts how to check a freind looked at it ,took off the flywheel and checked out the upper end everything looks good last senerio coil bad can this be the only problem or are we jumping the gun on buying parts the coil # is166-0761 new # is 541-0552 which i found on internet but quite pricey, its the most expensive one so i would like to know if i should check something else first or a way to check old coil first, i would appreciate any help thank you. I have also unhooked the saftey kill switch under the seat .

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-08, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally, if you unplug the kill wire from the coil and still get no spark, the coil is bad. I don't have a manual for that engine, so I am assuming that one has just an armature coil assembly?

Old 07-14-08, 05:37 AM
Would you happen to know cheese where i could pick up a reconditioned or slightly used one or just cheaper one ?