strange problem

Old 07-14-08, 10:01 AM
strange problem

i have a john deere lt 155 lawn mower, it has not run in 2 years. i put new fuel ines on with inline filter and shut off valve. its a kohler 15hp commander engine. heres the problem, i start it with the fuel valve off and after it cranks if i turn the fuel on it dies, it will run if valve is off for a minute or so then dies when it burns al the fuel. what am i missing? thanks del

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-08, 01:02 PM
Having been in storage for that long, it's possible the carburetor float valve is sticking open. That would cause the engine to flood when you turn the fuel valve on.

Does the exhaust get black and sooty as the engine dies with the fuel valve open? That would confirm the flooding scenario.

Old 07-15-08, 04:16 AM
Yes, there is black sooty smoke coming from exhaust, what do you recomend? I think I may need to have the carb rebuilt. thanks for your help.

Old 07-15-08, 09:39 AM
If you're handy with tools, taking the carb apart and cleaning it isn't hard to do. You might not even have to take it off the engine to fix the stuck float valve. Just take the top off the bowl.

You may be able to find a manual for the engine online. It will cover disassembly of the carb. A illustrated parts diagram will also help. Lots of carbs are very similar, even though they have different model numbers. Seen one, seen most.

You'll need some basic tools: screwdrivers, allen wrenches, needle-nose pliers, etc. Nothing exotic.

I'd be surprised if a small engine shop would charge less than $50 or more than $80 to do the job.