Troybilt TB475S won't start

Old 07-14-08, 12:28 PM
Troybilt TB475S won't start

I have replaced the tank, and am geeting fuel. I have replaced the ignition coil and gapped to .010 but I still can't get it to start. I have also set the valve lash. Is this thing ready for the junk pile?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-08, 12:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might need a bit more info here. Why did you put a tank and a coil on it? Was there something that happened, or just putting parts on it to see if you can get it started, or...?

Does it have spark? Compression? How do you know it's getting fuel?

Just trying to get a perspective to work from.

Old 07-15-08, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the reply. The problem started whenever I couldn't get it started. Noticed that the tank was bad because the pickup and return lines had deterioted inside the tank. After installing the new tank, it still would not start. Looking at the spark with the plug removed it appeared to be weak, so I thought that it might be the problem. After installing the new coil and gapped to .010, and installing a new sparkplug, it still will not start. I am getting fuel into the bulb and I also removed the plug and it was wet, so I assume I am getting enough fuel. One thing I have not checked is the compression. I don't have a compression gauge, so I guess I will have to try and borrow one to see if that may be the problem. I am really lost on this one.

Old 07-16-08, 01:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the plug is wet, it may actually be flooding. Did you take the carb apart and clean it out?

For a rough idea of whether or not it has sufficient compression...put the trimmer on the ground and try to pick it up with the pull rope only. Will it pick the trimmer up a bit, or does the trimmer stay on or very close to the ground? If it picked it up, chances are it has enough compression. This isn't very scientific or definitive, but if the trimmer just lays there when you pull the rope, it definitely doesn't have enough compression.

Old 07-16-08, 04:38 AM
I'll check the compression the way you suggested, but I'm thinkiing from what you describe that it will definitely pick it up. Also, I will stop by the Auto parts and pick up some Deep Creep and spray in the carburator.

Old 07-16-08, 01:36 PM
Cheese....OK, we are getting somewhere now. The compression is good. I sprayed the Deep Creep carb cleaner spray into the carb and let it sit a couple of minutes. I then cranked it over and it started right up and then died. I repeated this several times, so it does appear I have a fuel delivery problem. I called Troybilt parts and all they show is a complete carb assembly. I asked if they had a rebuild kit and they do. Do you think a rebuild kit will be all I need, or should I just replace the carb?

Old 07-19-08, 09:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may be time and money ahead to just replace the carb. You may be able to clean it and get it working with a kit, but you'll want to disassemble it and check out how bad it is inside first. If the new carb is reasonable enough, that would be the easiest and fastest way to get it straight.

Old 07-21-08, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the reply Chesse,
I disassembled the carb yesterday and basically it was clean as a whistle. Nothing evident, so I reassembled, but it still will not start. After this I decided that I would go ahead and buy a new complete carb. Should have it in a week and will post a reply of my results, aftering putting on the new carb.

Old 07-26-08, 04:41 PM
Runs like a top, as it should be after $120 in parts. After replacing the carb it fired right up.

Old 07-26-08, 08:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job. $120.00 ??!! ouch...