Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lawn tractor v-belt replacement

07-14-08, 01:45 PM   #1  
lawn tractor v-belt replacement

Craftsmen Lawn Tractor 42" 17hp 6 speed transaxle Model No. 917.271650

OEM charges $35 for a new v-belt
1/2"x94 1/5"L for the mower.
This vendor
sells the belt for $22.99. This same vendor also sells a 1/2"Wx94"L for $12.79. What I would like to know is, is it practical to use the 94" length in place of the 94 1/2".? And would it even fit? Also, this vendor offers a 94" L Kevlar Cord belt for about the same price. Would there be any particular benefit or problem to using the Kevlar Cord belt? It seems difficult to get straight forward answers from the vendor, so thought I'd ask here.

Thank you and have a great day.

Charlie

Sponsored Links

Non-US

07-14-08, 07:45 PM   #2  
Craftsmen does use some odd sizes. The 94" belt may drag & be annoying if the blades won't stop...& wear the blade brake.. For the effort involved in changing the belt, why not spend the extra 12.00 & have a belt that works??? Just my thought,, Roger

07-14-08, 09:22 PM   #3  
Posted By: hopkinsr2 Craftsmen does use some odd sizes. The 94" belt may drag & be annoying if the blades won't stop...& wear the blade brake.. For the effort involved in changing the belt, why not spend the extra 12.00 & have a belt that works??? Just my thought,, Roger
Thanks Roger. Sounds like I'll be better off the the right part for the job.

Have a great day.

Charlie

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-14-08, 11:52 PM   #4  
If not using the OEM belt, I'd go 1/2" longer and use the 95". The shorter belt can break the plastic clip that holds the engagement cable onto the handle. Already seen it happen. The 95" works.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

07-15-08, 08:13 AM   #5  
I figure since I am already saving money by providing my own labor, I'll use the correct parts. It's not a savings anymore if I get parts I am not sure of and end up doing the job twice. Worse if the questionable part causes a bigger problem requiring more parts that I could have avoided in the first place.

Search this Thread