changed lawnmower engines/need help

Old 07-14-08, 04:39 PM
Post changed lawnmower engines/need help

i posted a question last week about wanting to change engines on a lawnmower.first i want to thank everybody for there help.but now i need more help,switched engines everything on engine matched up.well the problem now is the wiring is different.i hooked up what was the same on both mowers turned key nothing.im not surprized cause extra things no where to hook up.heres the 2 mowers,hopefully somebody can tell me how to wire things up.the 12.5 engine came off a murray 40 cut mower.model number 40708x92a...the mower that i put it on is yard machine(mtd)14.5 i/c/42 inch..model number 13am672g088(tmo-3103203)(1997)any help would be great.thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-08, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 12.5 should connect nearly the same way as the 14.5. There are 2 wires together coming from under the flywheel near the starter. They connect where the same 2 wires connected on the old one. There is a single black wire coming out on the other side of the engine. This one connects to either a single black wire from the mower, or a black wire that is paired with another wire (possibly grey) in a rectangular connector, if the old engine had a solenoid on the bottom of the carb. If it did, verify that the wire you are connecting to the single black wire on the 12.5 engine does not ever have power to it at any time during any position of the keyswitch or it will fry your coil.

Old 07-15-08, 04:20 PM
thanks for the info..didn't a lot of time to mess with things today but this is whats up.i hooked up 2 wires near flywheel.but the old engine did have a rectangular connector with the 2 wires that also had a solenoid on bottom of carb.i know the other rectangular connector from pig tail has power caquse i plugged the lights into it and they worked.so i didnt hook black wire up cause not sure which of 2 wires didnt have power.didnt have time to mess with it.any ideas on with has no power?the old mower only had 1 wire(yellow)that hooked into single black wire from engine.now i was told elsewhere that the engine should start right from the starter being hooked up.so i tried,nothing...so what i did was on the solenoid i cross jumped it and engine started and ran real good.of course to turn off i had to flood it to turn off.so would the solenoid be bad?didnt want to take the 1 off old mower(that was starting till i asked here&got some info...)thanks

Old 07-16-08, 12:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To tell if the solenoid is bad, you'll have to test it to see if it's getting 12v at the spade terminal when you turn the key to start.