Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1999 Toro Lawntractor 3815-HXL starting problem

NE

07-15-08, 10:55 AM   #1  
1999 Toro Lawntractor 3815-HXL starting problem

I have a 1999 Toro recycler lawn tractor, it has the 15.5 briggs and stratton engine with full pressure oil and electric start. Recently it has not been starting, (no crank, just a clicking sound when you engage the starter), to get around it I have been shorting the two posts on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and it starts rights up, I finally replaced the solenoid yesterday thinking that was the problem but I still have the same exact issue. I haven't started going super indepth yet but I thought someone here might have an idea where to start. If I don't short the two ends of the solenoid it just will not even crank, it just makes that clicking sound. Is there another relay somewhere perhaps? I have looked at all the fuses and they are good, and other then this problem it starts everytime (via the screwdriver method Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-16-08, 12:48 AM   #2  
When the solenoid engages, it connects the 2 terminals just as if you shorted across them with a screwdriver. If it cranks with the screwdriver, but not the solenoid, and the solenoid is getting power to engage, then the solenoid isn't working. That's about the only explanation I can come to.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WI

07-17-08, 05:37 AM   #3  
What is the model number of your tractor. Is it really the solnoid that you hear clicking and not the carb solnoid. There are many safety switches, brake - PTO, that can be effecting the operation of the solnoid. Even a badly corroded key switch can cause a problem.

NE

07-18-08, 10:40 AM   #4  
Mower is a Toro Wheel Horse 15-38 HXL

The model number is 71221, we have relplaced the relay and solenoid now and we still get the same issue. I have a copy of the wiring diagram but I am not sure how to post it. I found a couple of wires coming off the fuse block that were corroded almost completely eaten through by the friction from the throttel cable that was tucked right next to it and have since cleaned those up and still am not having any luck. I have not looked at the PTO saftey switch or neutral kill switch yet. The kill switch under the seat is working as designed. The ignition/key switch seems to be working, it will shut the mower off if I turn it to OFF and when I turn it to start I can hear the main relay "click" as the contacts open and close with the turn of the key. I am going to look at the the aforementioned switches and test them, if they are good I will start tracing and checking all the of wiring loom for any shorts. This thing was stored in a barn for awhile and perhaps the mice got to eating the wiring insulation. If any one else has any ideas please let me know, thanks.

WI

07-18-08, 02:17 PM   #5  
Do you have a volt meter or test light that will handle 12 votls. The solnoid has two small posts that are down on the side of it with two small (maybe purple) wires. When you probe one of the small connectors, do you get 12 volts? Then check the other wire for the same. You can also disconnect the one side of the small wires that does not go to the ignition switch and jumper it to ground and try starting. If it does, then you have a bad PTO safety switch or a bad brake pedal switch. LOL

NE

07-19-08, 08:46 AM   #6  
Problem Solved:)

Camino, you were right on, the PTO safety switch was the problem. There is a little piece of thin metal that as the PTO handle drops across it strikes a small micro switch. The piece of metal was bent to far and was not striking the switch properly. I simply bent it back up and Wholla! It works like a champ. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread