Honda EU1000 blowing smoke???

Old 07-15-08, 05:18 PM
Honda EU1000 blowing smoke???

I have a Honda EU1000 generator and it is blowing smoke all the time. I will tell what I know so far; it was tipped on its side, then too much oil was put in it ( thanks to friend who I loaned it to, I know my fault). I drained the oil changed plug and just reecently pulled the muffler off which was wet with oil, so wet that I actually poured some in a jar, so I cleaned the muffler with carb cleaner and let it dry real good, put it back on and still blowing smoke???? Should I buy a new muffler and see if that would be causing the smoke? Or does anyone have any suggestions???

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-08, 12:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are certain the oil level is right, and there is no gas in the oil (smell it to see)...then remove the air filter cover and filter. I'm thinking the filter and housing are probably full of oil. If so, clean up the housing, replace the filter, and run the engine for several minutes until the smoke clears up. It may take 5 or 10 minutes.

Old 07-16-08, 05:23 AM
Thank you for your response. I forgot to add that I have cleaned the filter and housing and it still is smoking, no gas in oil.

Old 07-16-08, 06:40 AM
Running the unit for an hour or so may clear burn off the oil. I suspect the crankcase breather filter is saturated with oil and needs either to be cleaned or replaced. This will require a little work to access the filter. If you would like specific instructions, send me a PM with your email address.

Old 07-16-08, 11:35 AM
ok I ran the gen without muffler and no smoke what so ever, so I guess I will order new arrestor, muffler and gasket and see if the problem is with muffler being wet with oil.

Old 07-19-08, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the muffler has oil in it, it will smoke until the oil burns off. I'd just run it long enough for the oil to burn out of the muffler. The muffler isn't causing the problem, it just has oil still in it from being tipped. Once it burns out, it will quit smoking.