Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Bolen riding lawn mower will not start

09-19-08, 06:59 AM   #41  
Well i will check it today after school and see if it has done the same thing.

I am totally lost on what to try to do next?

Sponsored Links

10-02-08, 10:41 AM   #42  
Okay, so i got the blade drive belt and mowed my lawn the other day. It ran great actually under a load no stutter or its not acting like it wants to die, i can run high ilde, or low idle but i have a new problem.

I have to mow in 4th gear which is pretty fast for moweing, i put it in 3rd and it will go for a bit as long as i am going straight then when i turn it will slow way down and them not move, belts still spinning and everything. it also does this in
2nd gear too. Could anyone give me the insight on what may be causing it to not want to move in 2nd or 3rd, it doesn't matter if the blades are engaged or not it wont move like it should, i can even get off the mower and it wont move??

TX

10-02-08, 11:17 AM   #43  
Posted By: Tup15 Okay, so i got the blade drive belt and mowed my lawn the other day. It ran great actually under a load no stutter or its not acting like it wants to die, i can run high ilde, or low idle but i have a new problem.

I have to mow in 4th gear which is pretty fast for moweing, i put it in 3rd and it will go for a bit as long as i am going straight then when i turn it will slow way down and them not move, belts still spinning and everything. it also does this in
2nd gear too. Could anyone give me the insight on what may be causing it to not want to move in 2nd or 3rd, it doesn't matter if the blades are engaged or not it wont move like it should, i can even get off the mower and it wont move??
I would check the Vari drive pulley, it's in the back near the transaxle and it has a belt on the bottom and one on the top. The center section of this pulley assembly should float freely up and down, this pulley is what gives you the low and high speeds.

10-03-08, 06:13 PM   #44  
checked the pulley and it does move freely. I don't know what else it could be. i did however realize when i let the clutch out the belt guide that is on the side of that pulley setup hits the side of the lawn mower body and it gets stuck, i don't however think this causing any problems because it only goes that far back in 4 5 or 6th speed.

I really don't know what could be causing the sluggish in the lower gears My tires aren't completely full of air well almost all four of them are getting flat, not flat to the rim but flat, could this be a factor in the situation

TX

10-03-08, 06:33 PM   #45  
Belts could be worn or are incorrect size, belt tension should keep the idler arm from reaching frame.

10-05-08, 07:50 AM   #46  
Do you know what the size of the belt i need is? or the part number for it?

TX

10-05-08, 11:52 AM   #47  
954-04001A Lower Drive Belt

954-04002 Upper Drive Belt

These are the numbers that show up at the MTD site for your model Bolens riding mower. They don't show the dimensions of the belts, so I am not sure what their sizes actually are.

04-29-09, 12:30 PM   #48  
Bringing this thread back from the dead.

I am now having the problem i had from teh start with the compression and what not...

But I had it running exceptionally well actually for the beginning of the spring than one day i ran out of gas... and thats where it starts...

Well my starter went out after that, so i purchased a rebuilt starter. Now it is back to the compression where it will turn over until a certain point and then just stall and i have to click the key a couple time for it to start act like it will crank and then it hits the same spot and stop again. I have already check the valves and still set at the appropriate gage. Any suggestions to what to do... My yard is starting to look like a jungle.. lol

04-29-09, 03:50 PM   #49  
Okay i now have that figured out i have a new problem...

When i go to let the clutch and and start rollin the mower will die... ? any idea why?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-30-09, 12:40 AM   #50  
Sounds like your valves are still too loose, came loose again, or the cam is going bad. Also sounds like you have a bad seat switch or connection at it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MA

09-17-14, 03:48 PM   #51  
anyone having problems starting one of these mowers these engines have a problem with gas running into the cylinder when the engine is off if you dont have a fuel shut off in the fuel line put one in and make sure you close the valve when you shut the engine off my sons mower has this problem and when the cylinder fills with gas you wont get it to turn over and some times the gas ends up getting in the crankcase and if you dont know this you can cause engine failure

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-17-14, 07:38 PM   #52  
That's a common problem with the briggs single cylinder engines on many different mowers. It's a leaking needle and seat in the carburetor. Putting the fuel cutoff switch in doesn't fix the problem, it's a bandaid and it will likely get forgotten at some point and the problem will have to be readdressed. I'd recommend fixing the needle and seat so it doesn't happen again. 5 year old thread though...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread