Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No more electrical power

CO

07-16-08, 03:40 PM   #1  
No more electrical power

Have a craftsman 917270721. Just replaced the battery. Started up fine. While mowing the unit stopped, dead. Now, it won't crank, and the lights won't come on.

There was an operator on the unit when it stopped, so I don't think it is the seat switch unless it went completely bad. Any ideas what to check and in what order.

I should be able to bypass the seat switch shouldn't I if for nothing other than testing purposes.

Sponsored Links

PA

07-17-08, 09:22 AM   #2  
Since you just replaced the battery, double check the connections on the battery AND the other end of the neg and positive wires that they are clean, corrosion free, and tight on paint free surfaces. Inspect the wires along their length for broken insulation.

GA

07-19-08, 10:59 AM   #3  
I was able to get the manual for your tractor here:
http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0804023.pdf

There's an electrical diagram on page 60.

The lights run directly off the alternator, so they'll only come on when the engine is running.

The seat switch is closed when the seat is up. It has a grounding connector on the wiring harness, so it will kill the engine if engage the mower while it is disconnected.

The engine is equipped with a fuel shut-off solenoid. That'll stop the engine if the electrical power to the solenoid is removed.

So, you need to find where the power from the battery is not getting to the electrical system. Start at the battery, and check every connection. Check the negative lead first since it only goes to the frame. As soon as you fix the bad connection, your tractor will probably run OK.

TX

07-19-08, 01:12 PM   #4  
The seat switch on most riding mowers does not interlock the starter, so the engine should at least crank over with the starter.

If nothing is happening, I would check the fuse first. If the fuse is good then I would do as roger recommends and trace the power from the battery.

CO

07-19-08, 01:41 PM   #5  
Posted By: 30yearTech The seat switch on most riding mowers does not interlock the starter, so the engine should at least crank over with the starter.

If nothing is happening, I would check the fuse first. If the fuse is good then I would do as roger recommends and trace the power from the battery.
Thanks for the info. Will work in that direction.

GA

07-19-08, 02:01 PM   #6  
That's correct, and on your tractor you must have the clutch/brake pedal down and the mower clutch disengaged to start the engine.

Search this Thread