Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawnmower dies!!!!

07-19-08, 08:36 AM   #1  
Lawnmower dies!!!!

I have a Craftsman riding lawnmower with a B/S engine. It will run until I engage the blades or let off the brake/clutch or push the throttle up to the bunny then it will die. I replaced the filter which smelled a little of gas and replaced the spark plug with no positive results. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links

OH

07-19-08, 01:28 PM   #2  
I have a B&S engine on an MTD riderr that does the same thing. Mine stops running under load. I ordered a magneto armature ( coil) for it since a lot of places suggest the problem is likely that if it's not these. Here's the order from simple fix to more advanced according to a tech:

1. Air filter/ Plug faulty ( not likley but clean it anyway or replace it)

2. Vapor lock ( replace the gas cap or loosen the cap to see if it still runs)

3.Carb- mine was replaced prior and did not fix the problem.

4. Magneto armature ( coil that fires the spark plug) **** hopeful that should solve it. Considering a local place stocks 53 or them, it might tell you something.

5. Engine or Valve prob- ( i'm trying the coil before I get that far into it)

BTW- Only purchase B&S part since many around the net report DOA or short lived part life with Generic replacements.

CA

07-19-08, 01:54 PM   #3  
Posted By: asiabean I have a Craftsman riding lawnmower with a B/S engine. It will run until I engage the blades or let off the brake/clutch or push the throttle up to the bunny then it will die. I replaced the filter which smelled a little of gas and replaced the spark plug with no positive results. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
Does it die when you release the brake clutch even if it's not in gear?? If it does, this could be a safety interlock problem. The fact that you said it will die when placing the throttle control in a high speed position, indicates a fuel delivery problem (carburetor).

Search this Thread