Snapper LT160H482BV briggs and straton rear axle locked up

Old 07-19-08, 11:53 AM
Snapper LT160H482BV briggs and straton rear axle locked up

hi,
i have a Snapper LT160H482BV briggs and straton front engine riding mower and the rear axle does not budge at all. Engine does start but rear axle is locked up. Tried to roll it and will not move at all any any gear. If you have an idea where i can start looking please let me know. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-08, 01:04 PM
Check the brake assembly and make sure it is disengaging, it's possible that the brake is engaged and stuck in that position. Since it operates through the transaxle, a sticking brake will do what you describe in all the drive gears.

Old 07-19-08, 03:22 PM
ok brake seems to engage and disengage just fine from what i can see. I lifted the rear end up with a jack and the wheels will spin but one will spin forward and one will spin backwards without any resistance. Is this normal?

Old 07-19-08, 06:25 PM
Yes, that is normal and is the way the differential operates.

Just because the lever is moving freely on the brake assembly does not necessarily mean the brake is disengaged. There are a couple of pins that apply pressure to the disc pads, these pins can get rust or corrosion on them and stick, also the disc is supposed to float on the shaft that it's attached to and it can get stuck also, either of these two conditions can cause the rear end to bind.

Old 07-19-08, 09:40 PM
Red face

ok.. where the brake lever is at it all operates fine and i see when i press the brakedown where everything is moving all the way down to the only place i see a disc that looks like a four inch washer but that baby is not moving and is stuck there. I hope that is not the disc we are talking about. That is the only disc i see. And when i press the brake it moves all the way to where this disc is at and it has two metal buttons (like pins) that stick out about 1/2 an inch on both sides of the little lever that is being moved by the brake being pressed but those dont move either. The only metal button or pin that moves is at the very back of the rear axle it has a handle that u can pull up or push down and it presses a button into the axle. Im not really sure what all the parts are called but i appreciate you taking the time to help me. Please let me know if if sounds like i am looking in the right spot. thanks

Old 07-19-08, 10:11 PM
Ok, I decided to go lookup a parts breakdown on your mower so I would be sure I was telling you correctly about the brake assembly. It sounds like, by your description that you are indeed looking at the brake.

I no longer think that this is your problem however. I was thrown off by your statement that it will not move in any gear. I thought we were dealing with a gear drive transmission, and after looking at a parts breakdown I see you have a hydrostatic drive system (fluid drive).

This type of drive cannot be pushed without engaging the bypass valve in the hydro unit. To do this there should be an access panel on the rear of your tractor, there is a little rod inside this panel that must be lifted up in order to push or roll the tractor.

If the unit will not move when the engine is running, then the first thing to check is the drive belt from the engine to the drive pulley on the pump/motor assembly in the rear of the tractor. You can also check the fluid level in your hydro unit through the access panel in the back of the mower.

If you go to the manual section of the Snapper website, you can find owner manuals, and Parts Manuals for your mower.
These may help you out some in identifying the components you might want to look at.