Proper way to use a crankshaft straightener

Old 08-09-08, 08:08 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Proper way to use a crankshaft straightener

I know this is a very touchy subject so please dont chastize me. Last year I bought a crankshaft straightener at a farm auction. It was in what appeared to be really good condition with all the accessories including an adaptor for two cycle engines. Someone gave me a Honda mower with a slightly bent crankshaft. I was excited because I could finally use the tool. The straightener I have is the two bolt kind. I straightened the crank by tightening the outboard bolt until the needle moved 2-3 marks past zero in the opposite direction. I then tightened the inner bolt which put pressure in the opposite direction. I did manage to get the crank straight however I am not sure I used the correct technique. Could someone please explain to me the proper way to use this tool. I do not have a mower repair business and this is just a hobby for me. Thank you.

Old 08-09-08, 05:23 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
They don't really "straighten" the crank, but rebend it so
it cuts level and doesn't vibrate.
The bolt closest to the engine is what you rebend it against.

So you find the spot on the rotation that you need to bend back, then you tighten the bolt closest to the engine against the crank, just finger tight. You then put on the protector sleeve, then tighten the outer bolt with a big wrench
and tighten it hard, you will go past where the indicator
says is staright, and it will spring back. You will get the
hang of it.
The inner bolt keeps you from breaking the bottom pan.

And of course, you will likely have to replace the flywheel
key as well.

Fish

Old 08-10-08, 09:01 AM
J
Fish -- thank you very much

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: