Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

electric lawnmower repair

MI

07-20-08, 02:01 AM   #1  
electric lawnmower repair

I was thinking about repairing electric lawnmowers also. right now i do gas but if can expand it would be great . some questions.

1. can you by replacement electric motors should i get one thats fried.

2.can you get parts for them as easy as there gas cousins. meaning go to any lawnmower repair shop armed with a model number and say i need a wheel or power cord or motor or order them online.

3. are they more difficult or easier to repair.

4.same questions for electric edgers trimmers etc

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

07-20-08, 11:53 AM   #2  
Based on numbers alone, there are very few corded or cordless mowers in use when compared to gas models. This means dealers are less likely to carry large parts inventories and many parts will need to be ordered in. There are less moving parts to go bad, but a knowledge of electrical circuitry and double insulated circuits may be helpful.

As to electric trimmers and edgers, I consider them as throw away items although others may disagree.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

TX

07-20-08, 03:48 PM   #3  
It all depends upon what is wrong with the particular unit that needs repair.

In many cases (and I would actually say most cases), repairs on electric units are not a cost effective option for most, unless the problem is fairly simple.

MI

07-20-08, 09:43 PM   #4  
i did a search for electric lawnmower parts. seams the only brands listed are Norma sunbeam black and decker. and its basic parts power cord, on/off switch, oil wick, field assembly, bearings. if someone dropped off a sears electric then all i would have to do is go to sears website.so if i was to repair electrics it would have to craftsman only.

08-10-08, 03:16 AM   #5  
Where can I get a Service and Parts Manual for Black and Decker Stripemaster

I have a Black and Decker StripeMaster Electric Lawnmower, Model GR360C. It is an old model and I need to do some repairs. Where can I get a parts and service manual?

TX

08-10-08, 09:36 AM   #6  
Posted By: EamonX1 I have a Black and Decker StripeMaster Electric Lawnmower, Model GR360C. It is an old model and I need to do some repairs. Where can I get a parts and service manual?

I would try this site and see if you can locate a service center near you that may be able to help you with parts.

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/servicenet_home.aspx

PA

08-10-08, 01:23 PM   #7  
I just did a price check on electric mowers wrongly thinking that they were around $100 and was surprised to see that the cheapest is over $150 and some of the battery models are around $500. I agree that there aren't as many out there, but if you are in an urban environment where they are popular on smaller lawns, I'm sure folks would like to fix them with the replacement costs up higher than I thought. You need a good working knowledge of electricity and access to parts. On the plus side, there are a lot less parts to an electric than a gas mower, but they are not gonna be as easy to get your hands on.

Search this Thread