Briggs Carb trouble

Old 07-20-08, 04:36 PM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs Carb trouble

I have a briggs 243432 type 2561-01 code 90021714 and a couple of mows ago it started spluttering until I put it at half choke and then it ran fine. Did that for 2 mows,then I had to run it at full choke this weekend. I thought maybe a fuel problem so I started with the tank and took it off,cleaned it and all fittings, and while I was sitting there I took my air hose and shot it in the inlet nozzle of the carb. gas shot back out at me from where the 2 halves of the carb screw together right above the inlet. looked closer and seems like there is a gap about a quarter inch right there. Is it safe to assume this is the problem? Looks like I have carb # 391073. Any idea what the overhaul kit number is? Thanks

Old 07-20-08, 05:24 PM
Hopefully when you put air in the inlet of the carb there was enough gap that you did not damage the float. It sounds like you found your problem but take it appart and check your float for damage. Usually putting air in the carb inlet when assembled the air can not escape fast enough and since the float is hollow it will crush or crack the float.

Old 07-20-08, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Its a good idea not to use it if the choke is needed to keep it going. You stand the chance of running it too lean and overheating.

Have the screws backed out or come loose that hold the upper body on the lower? A 1/4 inch is quite a gap for just a gasket to have failed but it could be. This however is likely the problem. The carb is sucking air through this gap instead of the inlet and getting too much fuel/air. Choking will cut the amount of air through the intake.

Briggs does not show a kit as such, but the gasket I think you would need is Gasket-carburetor body,briggs #692215.
I would also pull the fuel nozzle that the high speed jet screws into from the bottom of the carb and clean it or replace if bad.

Old 07-21-08, 07:32 PM
tae
Thanks for the help and advice. I ordered the gasket and will let you know what I find when it gets here. The gap is width, not height. the screws are still tight. Looks like it's on the thin wall/edge section of the gasket according to pics of it. Once I realized there was a hole I thought it was probably an air problem. I'll check the float and give the whole thing a good cleaning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: