Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

White smoke under hood (Craftsman DLS 3500 Lawn Tractor)

07-21-08, 08:15 AM   #1  
White smoke under hood (Craftsman DLS 3500 Lawn Tractor)

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and had a question that maybe someone could help me with. I just bought a brand new Craftsman DLS 3500 Lawn Tractor (42" cut) with 20 HP Intek Plus OHV Briggs & Stratton engine. Model 28713. After using it for maybe 2 or 3hours of simple cutting I noticed that white smoke starting shooting/billowing (large amount) out from under the hood but when I disengaged the blades it seemed to stop. So, I turned it off for a minute or two and decided to try it again and it smoked one more time about 30 minutes later but stopped once I disengaged the blades. I looked under the hood and also made sure I checked the oil before I used it and everything looked ok. I have heard that the oil that comes in the new mowers needs to be changed after only a few hours of use, so I wonder if that's the problem. If so, changing the oil should help. I hope so b/c I paid too much for this tractor to be doing this already. It has a warranty and everything but I just wanted to see if anyone on here has ever ran into this type of problem coming from a new lawn tractor. Thanks for all your help.

Hunter

Sponsored Links

TN

07-21-08, 08:59 AM   #2  
It is likely a belt smoking. Look and ensure a stick or some object is not lodged under the mower causing the problem. If not, call Sears let them correct it under warranty..

07-21-08, 11:02 AM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. I'll check under the frame when I get home and see if there's anything stuck under it.

Search this Thread