White smoke under hood (Craftsman DLS 3500 Lawn Tractor)

Old 07-21-08, 08:15 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question White smoke under hood (Craftsman DLS 3500 Lawn Tractor)

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and had a question that maybe someone could help me with. I just bought a brand new Craftsman DLS 3500 Lawn Tractor (42" cut) with 20 HP Intek Plus OHV Briggs & Stratton engine. Model 28713. After using it for maybe 2 or 3hours of simple cutting I noticed that white smoke starting shooting/billowing (large amount) out from under the hood but when I disengaged the blades it seemed to stop. So, I turned it off for a minute or two and decided to try it again and it smoked one more time about 30 minutes later but stopped once I disengaged the blades. I looked under the hood and also made sure I checked the oil before I used it and everything looked ok. I have heard that the oil that comes in the new mowers needs to be changed after only a few hours of use, so I wonder if that's the problem. If so, changing the oil should help. I hope so b/c I paid too much for this tractor to be doing this already. It has a warranty and everything but I just wanted to see if anyone on here has ever ran into this type of problem coming from a new lawn tractor. Thanks for all your help.

Hunter

Old 07-21-08, 08:59 AM
A
It is likely a belt smoking. Look and ensure a stick or some object is not lodged under the mower causing the problem. If not, call Sears let them correct it under warranty..

Old 07-21-08, 11:02 AM
G
Thanks for the reply. I'll check under the frame when I get home and see if there's anything stuck under it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: