Lawn tractor wiring

Old 07-21-08, 12:25 PM
Lawn tractor wiring

Hello,
I have a MTD 42" cut 16 HP Briggs. After changing the air filter I have found a yellow wire coming from the ignition switch going to the front with a spade connection and can not find where it connects. The mower now will not turn over, Battery charged and had ran till now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can not find a wiring diagram on the web except for sale.
Thank You
SAMO

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-08, 12:35 PM
Sounds like it might go to the starter solenoid. Follow the large red wire from the battery. It'll end on the solenoid, which looks like this:

See if there's a wire on the spade connector near the base of the solenoid. If not, that's probably where the mystery wire goes.

Some solenoids have two spade connectors. There should be a wire on both of them.

Old 07-21-08, 01:58 PM
Please provide the model and serial number of your tractor and I will give it a shot. Should be under the seat.

Old 07-21-08, 05:18 PM
Model #1330673G372

Serial #1L112B400038
This is an older tractor I could not find this serial number on the MTD WEBPAGE
SAMO

Old 07-21-08, 05:22 PM
I did look and the RED wire from the battery goes to one bolt on bottom of what I think is the starter. With the Black on the top bolt on same "starter"
Samo

Old 07-21-08, 06:26 PM
Look up your tractor at this link:

http://www.milacalawn.com/parts.asp

A wiring diagram is available showing most components.

You may have a safety switch disconnected causing your problem. The yellow wire you origionally mentioned is part of the safety circuit. It is shown on the wiring diagram.

Good luck

Old 07-21-08, 07:32 PM
Thanks All I will be looking at the diagrams

Old 07-21-08, 08:42 PM
Follow the red wire back toward the battery. The solenoid will be somewhere along that wire.

Old 07-24-08, 05:58 PM
Hello forum
I have found the selonoid and it is wired And I could not find my numbers on the website.
What I did discover was the reverse safety switch has the yellow wire to it and then it continues on to the front where it is not connected and think thats my problem. I still can find no where to connect the yellow spaded wire to.

Old 07-24-08, 11:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is there power at the small wire plugged onto the solenoid when you turn the key to start? If so, the solenoid is bad. If not, post back. The yellow wire probably plugs onto a spade terminal on the plate you remove to see the area between the dash and seat. There is a metal tab at the hole where the shifter goes through that plate. That's where the wire plugs onto. It's only the reverse safety switch, and won't cause your cranking problem.

Old 07-25-08, 05:38 PM
Thanks
There is no power there at the post when switch is on. Yes theyellow wire is on the reverse safety switch but it also pairs off to and end under the hood witha spade on it.I think it goes to another safety switch but can not find it on the cluch brake .

Old 07-25-08, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not when the switch is on...when it's turned to start with the clutch pressed and the blades off.