Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

JD GT275 - Idles OK, dies with throttle

07-21-08, 09:39 PM   #1  
JD GT275 - Idles OK, dies with throttle

Mid 1990's John Deere GT275 with 17hp Kawasaki single cylinder, running fine until...

Fired it up to move using normal cold start procedure, got about 5 seconds and 10 feet before it flat out quit, just like the key was turned off or fuel flow stopped. Attempts to re-start with the choke on (which, under normal circumstances would have been required), or choke off, were unsuccessful.

Returning later, it took full choke and a shot of starting fluid to get running. After the normal sputter running on full choke, the engine would quit immediately at any reduced throttle setting with the exception of idle only. The engine will restart without choke when warm, but only if the throttle is fully seated on idle.

Fuel gravity feeds from tank fine, and a replacement inline fuel filter yielded no benefit. So, where to start? Clogged needle jet? Bad fuel pump, or whadda ya think?

Thnx

Sponsored Links

GA

07-21-08, 11:00 PM   #2  
Clogged jet is the first thing that comes to mind, and it's not that hard to check/fix.

TN

07-22-08, 04:50 AM   #3  
I suggest you check the following before opening the carburetor. I am not saying the problem is not in the carburetor just this could also be the problem and is easy to check. Post back to let us know if you find the problem.

Good luck

From the service manual:

Fuel Pump Inspection

Check the vent hole [A] and filter [B] for plugging or clogging.
If vent hole and filter are plugged or clogged, remove the foreign
matter from them.

Fuel Flow Test:

Disconnect the fuel pump outlet nozzle from the tube.
Connect a suitable hose [A] to the outlet nozzle.
Run the lower end of the hose into a container.
Start the engine, Check the fuel flow.
If fuel flow is none or little, replace the fuel pump.
Check for clogged or damaged tubes and fuel filter. Replace the faulty parts.

07-22-08, 07:59 AM   #4  
Thank you gentlemen.

Airman, I think I'll take your advice before I tear into the carb. Earlier this summer I spent -many- hours cleaning, re-building and testing the twin Keihin carbs on a '86 Yamaha xt600 that sat for several years and I am a bit sick of carbs!

I also wonder if the E10 has begun to take it's toll inside the carb?

Search this Thread