Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mantis Tiller with SV-4/B won't start

07-22-08, 12:38 PM   #1  
Mantis Tiller with SV-4/B won't start

I am new to this forum and looking for help with my tiller.

It has always run perfectly until today. I was using it to mix some dirt for planting and turned it off with the "stop" switch. It will not restart. I removed the spark plug and it was wet with the gas/oil mixture. I dried it and it will not spark. I removed the plug from my 2 stroke edger and tried to get it to spark. The plug works in the edger, the edger plug will not spark in the tiller. I suspect the coil but I am not a mechanic. Can you tell me how to test or eliminate the coil as the problem?

Where would I find a coil if needed?

Thanks, Billy

Sponsored Links

TX

07-22-08, 02:50 PM   #2  
Disconnect the kill switch lead going to the engine and retest for spark, if it sparks with the kill switch disconnected, the the kill switch is bad and needs to be replaced. If still no spark then I would suspect the CDI module. This is an Echo engine, so any Echo dealer should be able to get the part for you. I would check to see if the module may be under warranty, Echo branded products have a lifetime warranty on the module, customer only pays for installation.

Depending upon the serial number of your engine it could be one of the following Echo part numbers:

156626 11820 Coil, Ignition S/N - 001001 - 615220
A411000080 Coil, Ignition S/N - 615221 & up

If your engine is a type 1E then it could be one of the following:

156626 11820 Coil, Ignition S/N - 001001 - 102760
156601 52130 Coil, Ignition S/N - 102761 - 580614
A411000080 Coil, Ignition S/N - 580615 & Up

If you have a Type 1E it should be designated as such on the same sticker where you found the engine model number, and the serial number should be located there as well.

07-22-08, 04:34 PM   #3  
I have determined that it is the coil. I have an Echo edger with an engine similar enough to swap the coil and the tiller now runs. I called a local Echo dealer and he quoted a price of $72.03 for a replacement part. You and the dealer agree on the part number but he failed to mention any warranty. The correct coil is the first one you mentioned since my serial number is 238918.

Now what do I do?

Billy

TX

07-22-08, 05:02 PM   #4  
RESIDENTIAL OR NON-INCOME PRODUCING USE (Home Owner) - 2 YEAR-LIFE *
Complete unit for residential, or non-income producing use, will be covered by this limited warranty for two (2) years from date of retail purchase. For two-stroke engine powered products, the electronic ignition module, the flexible drive cables, SRM drive shafts, and TC tines are warranted for the life of the product on parts only.

The above is the section of the Echo warranty statement for products purchased between 2002 - 2006 that pertains to the ignition module.

Technically since you swapped the modules, you voided the warranty on the module. You could still try and see if they would do the repair, the labor charge should be less then the replacement part, as it should only take between 15 - 30 minutes to install and test unit operation, but I guess that depends on the shop and their posted labor rate and if they charge any diagnostic fees in addition to the repair.

Good Luck...

07-22-08, 06:12 PM   #5  
Well, I already said I was not a mechanic so I did my best at troubleshooting with what I had. At least I know I will not be buying a part I do not need.

I'll see what the local Echo dealer has to say about all this in a couple weeks. Too busy to take it in before that.

Why is it that the tiller is a Mantis brand and the engine says Kioritz Corp. and no where does it say Echo?

Thanks again, Billy

TX

07-22-08, 07:07 PM   #6  
Mantis makes the tiller only, the power head is supplied by Kioritz which is the parent company of Echo. They also have a Honda power head available on these tillers.

Echo also sells a tiller/cultivator made by Mantis that is labeled Echo, although it's painted a different color.

Search this Thread