Gas Tank: Craftsman 32cc Trimmer

Old 07-22-08, 03:28 PM
Gas Tank: Craftsman 32cc Trimmer

The trimmer is a fixed line model only a couple of years old. Came to me "not working." I went to empty the old gas out and with it came the pick-up/filter, a hardened and split line and a 2 sided nipple. Looking at other similiar tanks I see that the pick-up/filter is attached to a fuel line running through a hole in the bottom of the tank. The nipple is supposed to be in the smaller hole in the bottom of the tank. It appears that it is press fit from the inside. Is there a trick to that? I have used, unsuccessfully, needle nose pliers, surgery clamps, etc. all with no luck. Suggestions?
I also noticed, looking at a healthy tank, that the nipple simply sits there in the gas not 1/8" into the tank. Can I just fit a piece of fuel tube into the hole from the outside and accomplish the same task?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-08, 05:13 PM
You can install it on the line before you feed it through the tank, and then pull the line from the inside out. I use a small tie wire and cut the end of the line at an angle so I can get in to extend through the hole in the tank, then you can grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out. The line with the fitting is the return line.

Old 07-23-08, 07:27 AM
OK. Thanks very much for that info.
Now I'm confused on just one other thing. Well, probably confused about a lot of things but this one is currently on top of the list. There are 2 holes in the bottom of the tank. One smaller than the other. Is it the return line or the filter/PU line that goes through the smaller hole? I've done the search and some say one way, some say the other.
Additionally, are all the lines of different OD, given the different size holes, or is one expected to force one size for all three lines?

Thanks again, in advance.

Old 07-23-08, 08:19 AM
The smaller of the two holes is generally the pickup hose that connects directly to the carburetor and is usually .080 ID and .140 OD. The return line is the larger diameter hose 3/16 OD.

Search this Thread