Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husky Rider prob solved, but question

WI

07-23-08, 06:23 PM   #1  
Husky Rider prob solved, but question

I have a Husqvarna Rider155, about a year old, with a Kohler 15hp engine.
Lately it's been surging and trying to stall on me. Well, today it stalled and wouldn't restart.
Found lots of gas in the intake area so I thought maybe a stuck float. Took the carby off and yeah it was a mess. What I wanted to ask is what this stuff might have been, was a whitish plasticy pile of stuff. Not really like a slime, more like fine nodules of stuff.
Cleaned it all out and all is swell now.
Carb is a Walbro, if it makes a difference.
Gilly

Sponsored Links

GA

07-23-08, 07:19 PM   #2  
Sounds like some sort of corrosion going on. My first suspect would be it's a result of ethanol in the gasoline you're using.

WI

07-24-08, 01:20 AM   #3  
I suppose it could be, but really seems like plastic, like maybe from the plastic fuel tank? But this stuff shouldn't have made it past the fuel filter. Weird. Just glas to have it working again, I was NOT looking forward to breaking out the push mower!
Gilly

WI

05-15-09, 05:48 PM   #4  
Thought I would bump this up to the top instead of rewriting everything.
It did it on me again. This time there was only a small amount of black hard stuff in the bowl, not very much. Pulled off the float and needle, put it back together, and as of right now it seems fine.
It seemed to try cutting out whenever the going got a bit tough, say if the grass was wetter or longer, or up a slight incline it would try to cut out.

Gilly

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-15-09, 10:02 PM   #5  
I don't know, but I've seen all sorts of weird stuff in carb bowls. Not long ago, I dumped out some glob of translucent stuff that looked like a jellyfish....

Sometimes I find white powdery silt in the bottom, sometimes rust flakes, sometimes stuff that looks like fibers out of a cigarette butt. I don't know what the stuff is or how it gets there, especially past the filter. I wonder if there is an algae that grows in gas like it does in diesel.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WI

05-16-09, 12:58 AM   #6  
Yeah the jellyfish looking stuff is what the bowl was just "stuffed" with last year when I started this thread. I could understand it not running then. This was just a little bit and didn't really look the same.
The mower was still running on last years gas, and when it acted up, I checked to make sure I wasn't running out of gas. It was low enough that I thought the problem migh just be low fuel. I was out of gas in my gas can too, so I had to go get some, so the gas is now fresh. But topping off the tank didn't really fix it, although it never actually quit on me after adding the fuel, just acted like it was going to.
After finishing mowing (was looking like rain so wanted to try to finish the mowing as-is) and removing the bowl, float and needle, I ran around the yard a little bit with the deck dropped and it was acting fine, although obviously the mower wasn't having to work as hard with a already-mowed lawn, but I think it's OK now.
Gilly

IA

05-16-09, 05:17 AM   #7  
I suspect a lot of the weird stuff you're seeing in fuel systems can be traced back to bio fuels.

Being from an ag state I like to see that stuff succeed, but when cold weather hits and bio diesel turns sour, you see stuff come out of it that makes you wonder how it even works.

We had a diesel filter plugged with what looked like a lb of lard on one of the trucks. Ethanol wouldn't have that in it, but there likely residuals not common to straight petro fuels. If those are still in solution or small particle suspension it would go past the filter and separate in the carburetor while the engine sits.

Search this Thread