Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler 12HP Problems

VT

07-25-08, 09:10 AM   #1  
Kohler 12HP Problems

I have a Kohler 12HP on my 1976 Cub Cadet 1200. The motor is in very good shape and will start up normally, run normally, then suddenly loose power, stall, and sometimes backfire.

Then within a few seconds I can start it right back up again and it will run normally for a while until it stalls again.

So far I've changed the spark plug, fuel, fuel filter, points and capacitor, and even the coil. I've checked the timing, the spark, cleaned the carburetor, cleaned the fuel tank, and made sure the fuel hoses were all good. Still stalls.

I really don't know what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

TN

07-25-08, 09:24 AM   #2  
Could you post the engine model and spec number please.

KY

07-25-08, 11:38 AM   #3  
It sounds like you need to adjust your valves, they are
adjustable on the k series.

Fish

GA

07-25-08, 12:58 PM   #4  
Mine was a '78. A great tractor with the 12HP cast iron engine. It did the same sort of thing, and it turned out to be a sticking intake valve. It would spin effortlessly (with no compression) when I tried to restart it right after it stalled, then fire up again.

Keep an eye on the clutch release mechanism. Mine broke, sending me on a wild ride. I shut the engine off just before I hit a low retainer wall, but the momentum carried the tractor and me over the wall into the neighbor's bramble patch.

Search this Thread