Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Mower Problems

07-25-08, 01:29 PM   #1  
Honda Mower Problems

I have a Honda push mower that will start but will not rev up. I have it torn apart and put back together but to no avail. It will start and run at a very very slow idle. If you play with throttle the engine sounds different but will still not rev. Out of the blue on very rare occasion I have gotten it to rev up and I cut the grass no problem.The engine has lots of power. If I shut it off and restart it no problem when it's hot. The next day I try to start it and it does the same. It won't rev up. I have had the carb off and appart cleaned re-installed and no change. I ended up putting a NEW carb on it, and still no change. I checked the governor and it is ok. I adjusted the valves, no change,., The piston, rings and valves all are ok. PLease Help..... Jim

Sponsored Links

GA

07-25-08, 10:11 PM   #2  
If you can get to the throttle shaft on the carburetor, see what happens when you turn it. Does the engine rev up OK?

I'm thinking that the throttle cable may be slipping in a clamp at either end. Sometimes it holds enough to work, most times it slips as you move the throttle.

We'll need the mower model number and engine info to get much deeper into your problem.

07-28-08, 05:33 AM   #3  
Honda Mower

The model of the mower is a Honda HRS21. When you move the throttle by hand there is no change.There is a difference in sound in the enginewhen you move the throttle, but it does not rev up. The throttle cable is tight on the mount.

GA

07-28-08, 08:36 PM   #4  
This is really puzzling.

I'd rule out something wrong with the ignition. Nothing in the symptoms points there.

That leaves air and fuel. These problems are rarely intermittent and the fact that sometimes it runs OK means something really significant is happening on a on/off basis.

I'd look for something loose in the muffler. When it blocks the outlet, very little air/fuel can get through, so it won't rev up. It would sound different when the throttle is opened, though. When it's not blocking the outlet, the flow is fine, and it runs OK.

Look for a loose baffle or piece of rusted metal bouncing around inside. And PLEASE let us know what you find. I'm really curious.

Search this Thread