My dad's Honda has him stumped! Can you help?

Old 07-25-08, 06:12 PM
My dad's Honda has him stumped! Can you help?

My dad is one of those guys that can fix anything, even at almost 82, he's pretty darn handy. He's always had a Honda lawnmower and always had good luck with them. But this Harmony he has now is giving him a fit. It's not that old, maybe 5 years or so, but every time he starts it, it runs a few minutes, and cuts off. Everytime, it's the same problem - water in the carburetor. Once he cleans that out, it runs fine. Next time...same deal. He tries to keep it in a covered area, but I think it is often left uncovered next to the shed.

He is really frustrated about how the water is getting in. And of course I am no help at all. : Does anyone have any ideas I could pass on to him?? He's ready to throw the thing out he so fed up.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-08, 06:54 PM
Maybe it's time for some-one-else to take over the lawn duty?

Old 07-25-08, 07:08 PM
watch is this help on that honda lawnmower

Tools Required; Old Screwdriver, Pliers and Builders Caulk.
The screwdriver has a tendancy to spring out and hit you in the eye. Local A&E Departments refer this to ‘Prats Eye’ and can be quite painful.

[moderator removed information that is unrelated to the topic and rediculous/dangerous]

Last edited by cheese; 07-25-08 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-25-08, 07:50 PM
Ummmmm....well thanks for the advice there, but I'm not really following either of those posts.

Anyone else that might have an idea about the water in the carb??

Old 07-25-08, 08:22 PM
It would nearly always ride in with the gasoline. Gasohol (if that's the case) draws moisture easily if left in an unsealed container.

I suspect what is happening with your fathers Honda is a fill of gas that had water in the container and that water sits in the tank and constantly works its way into the carburetor.

I would try draining the tank and carb bowl first. Then refill with clean fresh gas.

If he doesn't have a place to store the mower inside, maybe you could put something together for him outside in the way of a small one mower shelter. It may take a little work on your part, but I"m sure he would appreciate it.

Old 07-25-08, 11:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does he keep the gas in a metal can? If so, there will be condensation buildup in the can as well, adding to the water problem.

Old 07-26-08, 09:19 AM
Yardnut;
Take a few measurements for the engine height, length and width then go to Walmart and get a plastic storage container of the appropriate size, take it home and cut the necessary slots and such to make a cover for the engine, then it won't hurt anything if it is left out in the rain. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-26-08, 10:34 AM
Water in any carburetor as often as he experiencing it is puzzling. Water will collect in any fuel storage container or tank just from condensation. Especially in areas of high humidity and more so when the tank is not full. Check the storage container for water and remove it as required. Fill the mower tank after use. A full tank will prevent condensation. The carburetor bowl has a screw on the lower side of the bowl just for draining the carburetor.

Old 07-26-08, 08:37 PM
There is a product available at auto supply stores--it is called
DRY GAS--follow instructions.

Old 08-02-08, 07:32 PM
Thanks all...I will go over all these tips with him. FWIW, he has an excellent shed that we built last summer...sometimes he just fails to put the mower in there...but most of the time, he does.

Old 08-02-08, 07:44 PM
IMHO;
At 82 if he leaves it set out, then it should have set out, if he puts it in the shed, then it should be in the shed, I lost my dad when i was 14, he was 54, take care of him for as long as you can. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-02-08, 08:31 PM
our old harmony mower developed a small crack in the engine cover and gets some water in the tank if we get a hard rain with it setting out the crack is only about 1 in long just at the corner beside the fuel cap. you might have to just purchase a new engine cover/fuel tank.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 08-15-08, 07:04 AM
+1 on the above posts.

Drain gas tank and then clean carb with some spray. Put in new good gas out of new good gas can. I'd suggest good clean (new plastic) gas can. Make sure when your Dad closes it, it stays closed and out of the weather.

I'd also suggest a new fuel cap. Get the right one for the unit and make sure the gasket is good and tight.

I like the idea of storing the mower out of the weather (and the gas can also.).

Old 08-15-08, 11:26 AM
Water in gas tanks & carbs has now become the single biggest problem I see. We are now running E-10 here (10% ethanol) for gas. And ethanol DOES attract water. Buy some ISOPROPYL
drygas. Costs about $1.50 for a 12 oz bottle. Use about 1 oz.er gallon. If you don't have a plastic gas can, I recomend buying 1 as metal forms condensation. Also, only buy as much gas as you will use in 30 days as today's gas only lasts about 30 days.