Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Kohler 15HP OHV sticks on 1st start

07-26-08, 05:58 AM   #1  
Craftsman Kohler 15HP OHV sticks on 1st start

The engine "sticks" or binds up somehow on the initial start-up. I can turn the "flywheel"? by hand and free it up then it will start every time. It used to be spradic - now it is every time I go to use it. Not a problem after warm up. Sears model 917.256552. Any Thoughts?

Sponsored Links

GA

07-26-08, 01:43 PM   #2  
Once it's started, does the engine run OK?

If so, I'd think there's something wrong with the starter. A bad bushing on the armature or a worn Bendix might let it bind. It might even be something simple, like loose mounting bolts.

TX

07-26-08, 01:47 PM   #3  
Could also be that the compression release is not working properly. Perhaps the lifter that operates the valve with the compression release is bleeding down and thus does not operate on the first start, but after running awhile is pumped up and then the compression release works properly.

07-29-08, 08:55 AM   #4  
How do I check the compression valve?

Is this something that can be replaced?

GA

07-29-08, 09:59 AM   #5  
How old is your battery? Maybe it's getting tired.

Try starting it with jumper cables to another battery that you know is good.

07-29-08, 10:29 AM   #6  
Battery was new mid summer last year

I do't believe its the battery this time.

TX

07-29-08, 12:35 PM   #7  
You can get your battery load tested at most auto parts stores, if its 2 or more years old, then it's very possible that the battery is your problem.

07-29-08, 03:17 PM   #8  
Trouble shoot

Try jumping it when its cold and see what happens. If it cranks just fine then its probly a weak battery, loose connection, or time for a starter. Most common thing I see is bad or dirty battery terminals and or wires. Some times the the wires can fall apart under the insulation and you may never notice it. But like I said try jumping it and if it works then you are simply not getting enough juice to the starter or the starter is tired.

TX

07-29-08, 03:41 PM   #9  
Loose, dirty connections or a tired starter, don't explain why it works alright after the engine has been run awhile!

07-30-08, 09:41 AM   #10  
Let's assume it's not the battery.

I think the compression valve mentioned before makes a lot of sense but I have no idea how to check it or trouble shoot it. Any help would be great.

GA

07-30-08, 01:46 PM   #11  
The ultimate compression release is removing the sparkplug. If it still binds up with the plug removed, it's not the CR. The engine should spin vigorously with the plug removed if the battery is good.

How many revolutions is the engine cranking over before it binds up when you first try to start it? How many revolutions are you turning it over by hand before you're able to start it after the first unsuccessful try?

Search this Thread