Scott's L2048 riding mower:Blades won't engage

Old 07-26-08, 02:42 PM
Scott's L2048 riding mower:Blades won't engage

I recently changed the blades on my riding mower.It worked fine before but now the blades won't engage.I tested the new blades out for about 20 minutes and then stopped the mower.When I went back and got on the mower and tried to cut more grass the blades wouldn't engage.The mower runs just fine so I know there isn't a problem with that part.Can anyone head me in the right direction to what would be causing this problem?Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-08, 02:50 PM
Check your mower deck drive belt(s), perhaps one jumped off a pulley.

Old 07-26-08, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
Check your mower deck drive belt(s), perhaps one jumped off a pulley.
Thanks for replying.

Funny that you say that.When I changed the blades,instead of removing the deck,I just jacked it up.The mower deck belt is fine but that other little belt is the one that was loose.I took the deck off and tried to see if I could tighten it but I didn't know where to begin so I just put the deck back on and left it.I went out the next day to see if I could try and fix it and the belt somehow had tightened its self.I tried the mower again but the blades still wouldn't engage.

Old 07-26-08, 05:53 PM
I think your mower may have been mfg. by John Deere and is equipped with an electric PTO clutch. If so you may want to make sure that it's plugged in and no wires are hanging loose.

If all that checks out then you may need to test the circuit to see if power is being supplied to the clutch. Let us know what you find and we can continue from there.

Best of Luck...

Old 07-26-08, 06:01 PM
Thanks 30YearTech,

I will check that out and see if that helps,if not I'm sure I will give you a holler back

Old 07-28-08, 03:01 PM
Checked all wires,nothing appears to be loose,cut or unattached.Didn't do the circuit test as I don't have a tester.What's the cheapest one I can buy?The belt I mentioned before came loose again,could this be my problem?I have no idea on how to tighten but I'm sure if I messed with it,I could figure it out.Is there a certain tightness it needs to be?

Old 07-28-08, 03:33 PM
There should be a couple of spring loaded idler pulleys that keep the tension on the belt. If the belt is not routed correctly or the one of the idlers is stuck and there is no tension on the belt, this could keep the blades from turning.

All you need to test the circuit is a 12 volt test light. You should be able to pick one up at just about any auto parts store as well as Wal-Mart, Sears, Home Depot, Lowes etc type stores., then test for voltage at the plug to the clutch. Do not start the engine, just turn the key to the on position and engage the PTO / Clutch switch. If you can hear a "click" down by the clutch when you do this with the engine not running, then you can pretty much assume that the clutch is engaging without testing the circuit, so do this first before you go looking for a test light.

Best of Luck...