Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ryobi 700r trimmer, pull-start part

07-27-08, 12:09 PM   #1  
Ryobi 700r trimmer, pull-start part

I can't start my trimmer because the gear on one side of the spool (that the pull-start rope wraps around) is thoroughly stripped. It will not grip the flywheel at all. I could replace it easily enough; the problem is I cannot for the life of me find a replacement part or even who makes the spool. All the spool says is '5288' as a model number, I assume. Most of the trimmer is made by MTD and the flywheel is made by Walbro. If anyone can find me any information about the spool or where to get one, I would be extremely appreciative because it could potentially mean I won't have to buy a whole new trimmer

Sponsored Links

TN

07-27-08, 02:17 PM   #2  
Some Ryobi trimmers are MTD and others not. I quit trying to keep up with who is who I just sort through it when I need parts. Look on your trimmer closely for numbers. A model number beginning with 41 is MTD and if 700r is all that is there it is Ryobi, at least that is how I presently understand it.

Look at the link below for your trimmer. Their customer service number is 877-500-7499

http://www.ordertree.com/

Good luck

TX

07-27-08, 04:08 PM   #3  
This is the Ryobi part number 181597 for the recoil starter drum you need, the MTD part number is 791-181597 and last but not least
PN#: 791181597 has been superceded to PN# 75304232

You should be able to get this at any MTD dealer or online at buymtd.com or as previously suggested ordertree.com

07-29-08, 01:05 PM   #4  
Thank you both very much.

08-18-08, 06:47 PM   #5  
Is it hard to replace pulley?

Wow, I am having the same problem. The pulley is not catching when I pull the rope.
The plastic is worn. I have ordered the parts.

Anyone know if the pulley just pulls out after you remove the retaining clip?

So far with the clip off the thing does not just come out and I did not want to pry too hard yet. It may be more evident how it comes off once I get the new part.

thanks

Steve

TX

08-19-08, 08:28 AM   #6  
Posted By: Electech1 Wow, I am having the same problem. The pulley is not catching when I pull the rope.
The plastic is worn. I have ordered the parts.

Anyone know if the pulley just pulls out after you remove the retaining clip?

So far with the clip off the thing does not just come out and I did not want to pry too hard yet. It may be more evident how it comes off once I get the new part.

thanks

Steve
The pulley retainer on this trimmer should be a plastic tab that screws in directly over the rope guide. Remove the retaining screw and lift out the retaining tab and the starter pulley should easily lift out from the starter housing.

Best of luck...

Search this Thread