Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Echo SRM-210 string trimmer won't get past idle

07-27-08, 01:07 PM   #1  
Echo SRM-210 string trimmer won't get past idle

I have an Echo SRM-210 that I bought last year (I believe) that hasn't given me any problems until the last couple of weeks. 2 weeks ago, I had a hard time giving it any throttle without it dying. I was able to run it enough to finish the job, but just now I could not get it out of idle at all. If I pulled the trigger a little bit, it would be OK... but not spin fast enough to cut grass. I'm using the same gas/oil mixture I have used all season without issues... any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TX

07-27-08, 01:36 PM   #2  
From my experience,the problem is most likely a clogged muffler.A clogged gas filter could be it,but but with mine it's allways the muffler.

TN

07-27-08, 02:21 PM   #3  
As long as you have cared for it as required by Echo take it in for warranty work. Work on it yourself and they may deny warranty.

TX

07-27-08, 04:00 PM   #4  
Does sound like a plugged spark arrestor screen. Thats a normal maintenance item and not covered by warranty. Inspecting and or cleaning the spark arrestor screen, should not affect the warranty, as long as this is all that you do. If it's plugged then clean or replace the screen. The spark arrestor screen is under the exhaust guide on the outside of the muffler and is held on with 3 or 4 screws.

08-03-08, 01:29 PM   #5  
how do i get to the gas filter to check if it is clogged? i just checked the arrestor screen and aside from a bit of black coloring on one side, it was very clean.

TX

08-03-08, 02:44 PM   #6  
Take a pair of needlenose pliers,and fish it out of the fuel tank.If the fuel filter has clips on each side you can unclip the filter and clean the metal and the foam part with a can of carb spray.Hope this helps.

Jerry

08-15-08, 11:33 AM   #7  
got the fuel filter out, that wasn't it. made sure the air line coming out of the tank was clear too... still have the same problem. the thing isn't that old so i don't think there's anything wrong with the spark plug. what's next? carbeurator?

TN

08-15-08, 01:15 PM   #8  
This for sure is a SRM 210, and not a SRM 210E, big difference in carburetors. If this is a SRM 210E it should have an adjustable Walbro carburetor.

If this is a SRM 210 it will have a ZAMA rotary carburetor (RB) which is actually very trouble free and only has one external adjustment. The one external adjustment is the Throttle Adjustment Screw (TAS) and only changes RPM through throttle rotor positioning.

Are you using fresh gasoline, less than 30 days old, with a 50:1 fuel/oil mix? Old gasoline can cause engine problems.

Install a new spark plug. I have always been amazed by problems a bad plug can cause.

Is the trimmer under warranty?

08-16-08, 08:28 AM   #9  
it is definitely the SRM 210.

i am not using very fresh gas... probably a year old at this point. i know that must sound awful, but i just don't use the thing enough to freshen the gas every 30 days. also, it is the same gas i have been using that was working for so long. i'm sure the mixture ratio is right as i probably went a little too far in measuring to ensure the mixture was right.

should i dump out the current gas, mix some fresh gas, replace the plug and try again?

TN

08-16-08, 09:26 AM   #10  
Old gas can cause many problems. Most 2-cycle oil has fuel stabilizer incorporated. However, fuel a year old is pushing it.

In order to determine your problem you need a new plug and fresh fuel. If your trimmer has been sitting for a long period with old fuel, you may have carburetor issues also.

Try the fresh fuel and plug before going any further.

TX

08-16-08, 09:40 AM   #11  
I agree with Airman, gas that old can cause problems, I am surprised that you can get your trimmer started at all.

When you add fresh fuel to the tank, you should operate the primer bulb on the carburetor several times to circulate the old fuel remaining in the fuel line and pickup filter out of the carburetor and charge the system with the new fuel before attempting to start it, or you may be fooled that there is no immeditate change.

08-16-08, 12:37 PM   #12  
mixed some fresh fuel/oil, certain the ratio was 50:1 per specs. i flushed the fuel out as far as the primer bulb, replaced the spark plug and am still getting the same results. at this point, i'm guessing i'm going to have to take it to a service tech. unless anyone has further suggestions?

TN

08-16-08, 01:40 PM   #13  
I suspect the carburetor is dirty. I think a person experienced with this type carburetor is your best choice.

WA

07-28-13, 01:29 PM   #14  
Got my 210 going by following advise of cleaning Exhaust sytem

The ultimate problem wa probably the spark arrestor filter which was dirty. Following instructions to clean up exhaust system did the trick. Much appreciate this forum!

Search this Thread