Tecumseh OHV16 Idles Smoothly But Dies Upon Throttle Increase

Old 07-28-08, 10:06 AM
Tecumseh OHV16 Idles Smoothly But Dies Upon Throttle Increase

The engine starts fine, but when you try to increase the throttle it makes a choking noise through the carburetor and then dies. It also sometimes misses and backfires before dying. I have already disassemble the carburetor and it is litterally spotless. Any help?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-08, 12:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does that carb have the plastic bowl? If so, I suggest replacing the carb. Does choking it partially help it run better?

I also suggest checking the valve clearances just to eliminate a valve problem. It doesn't really sound like one, but Ive seen them behave strangely on tecumsehs with valve problems.

Old 07-29-08, 10:50 AM
response to cheese

yes cheese,it has one of those crummy plastic bowls on the bottom of the carb.its held in place only by a small metal arm that snaps into place.is there any way to fix the carb i have?,or is it a "disposable hero"?choking it will keep it from shutting off,but when you return it to full throttle it sounds horrible.

Old 07-29-08, 07:36 PM
your bowl gasket could be leaking, or there is some blockage in you plastic bowl passeges. a small strand of copper wire should do the trick. do not and I repete do not use air to blow out the passeges unles you can confirm you have all the parts out, so you don't do like I did and blow out the main jet and spring into never find again world. They are not screwed in-place only pressure fitted.
My 16HP worked great after a 2 week waighting period so parts could come.!

Old 07-29-08, 11:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can try cleaning it, or you might fare better by installing a bowl kit. Myself, I dislike the carb and rather just replace it. You probably can clean it and get it to work again though, with enough patience and possibly parts.

Old 07-30-08, 07:06 AM
thanks to cheese and chiper

aww cheese,your the cheesiest.thanks to both you fellas for the advice.