Old Tecumseh V50 - wiring help?

Old 07-29-08, 03:38 PM
Old Tecumseh V50 - wiring help?

Hi All,

My father gave me a "it used to work" 5HP engine to see if I could get it working in spare garage time for fun.

First, I've determined that I have a Tecumseh V50-602144 with serial number 2340D. Old school.

I cleaned out the carb, bought a new spark plug, and bought a new air filter for it. Now I'm stuck on the wiring -- basically everything was just clipped off when it was removed from whatever mower it was attached to.

I'm just trying to get the piece to make even the slightest noise or movement at this point, which will motivate me to continue further!

I'd be grateful for any assistance. Here's an actual photo of what I am dealing with and also a diagram from the Tecumseh Technician's Manual (which I have).

I have no idea what goes to what! The fuse looks fine and the diode checks out as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-08, 03:47 PM
Apparently this engine has a charging circuit to maintain a battery or operate some other accessory such as a light.

These wires do not need to be attached to anything in order for the engine to run, however I would suggest not letting the red wire touch the engine block or any metal surface the engine is mounted to when the engine is running.

Have you check the spark plug lead wire to see if you have ignition spark? This engine is old enough to have points and condenser setup underneath the flywheel.

Old 07-29-08, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the reply.

No, I've not checked for spark at the main lead.

Will I be able to get spark at the lead without a battery hooked up?

Can I just turn it over by hand and check for spark with no battery? I ask because it's not mounted to anything and the original mower is long gone so I'd have to fabricate a stand/mount of some sort.

I wish I knew more and didn't have to ask such basic questions, but that's where I am in the learning process.

Old 07-29-08, 07:43 PM
Yes, you will get spark without a battery. The ignition system on this engine does not have a battery excited coil. You should be able to spin it fast enough by hand to get a spark if it is a point type setup.

Old 07-30-08, 07:53 AM
I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. Thanks!

Old 07-31-08, 02:15 PM
I thought I felt some juice with my finger on the spark plug lead, but wasn't sure.

According to my tongue, I have spark

Old 07-31-08, 03:35 PM
Spark has to be strong enough to jump the gap on the spark plug, not just tingle your tongue! If the spark was strong enough to jump the gap on a plug, it might turn your tongue inside out

Old 07-31-08, 06:38 PM
I actually got it to idle tonight (without using my tongue) ... once I realized the choke plate was wide open and closed it. Seems to idle well.

Now I have a lot of reading in the Tecumseh manual to do I am sure I will have a lot more questions.

I suppose I got lucky on the stupid tongue test. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the guidance, man!

Old 07-31-08, 07:35 PM
I have done the tongue test on a 9V battery and got a tingle from a weak battery and a sting from a new battery, I can't even imagine what would happen from a good working ignition system, I'm sure it would cross your eyes and burn your tongue, someone got very lucky. Have a good one. Geo