Was told mower started but cant seem to start it

Old 09-01-08, 02:06 PM
ok here is the pictures of the drive deck belt. Maybe you guys can see something that is wrong here.. There is no slack in the belt.. Maybe you can see an obvious error here... Thinking maybe that center blade deck pulley might be my problem or my only fix here anyway... let me know. thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-08, 12:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The rust on the engine pulley can cause the pulley to grab the belt even when it has enough slack, simply because it is rough, not smooth and slick like it should be. Also, it looks like the rest of the stuff is rusty. Any chance the tensioner is too rusted and not moving away from the belt enough to disengage it fully? Is the belt too tight because the tensioner is keeping it too tight, or is the tensioner even putting pressure on it?

Old 09-02-08, 02:04 AM
Well... I know it looks rusty but its not like there is rusty metal flakes coming off because its so rusting out... Also the tensioner is close to the belt but its not applying any pressure to the belt. Just cant get any slack in the belt. Ill try and clean up the pulleys with a wire brush see if that helps any.. Dont think as fast as the pulley would turn while engine runs would allow the rust on the pulley to grab onto the belt the way it is doing now.. Did that center blade pulley look like it might be the right pulley? The belt didnt fit down in the groove like it did with the other pulleys did on the mower. You can see that the pulley grooves are more narrow than the pulley below it.. <<< pulleys above center blade

Old 09-02-08, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the tensioner isn't putting any pressure on the belt, and the belt is still too tight, then either the belt is wrong or the deck is too far back from the engine pulley.

The center pulley looks fine.

Old 09-05-08, 04:19 AM
well tensioner is not p utting any pressure on belt and doesnt look like i can do any adjustments with the deck so i dont know what else to do but to change out the pulley or replace the belt and i have a new belt so ill try to downsize the pulley.. not sure if this is right move but only thing i can think of doing right now. thanks... Let me know if u think of something else. thanks

Old 09-05-08, 06:47 AM
ok cheese i got the pulley deal figured out.. just opened up on the center blade pulley with a pair of channel locks making the belt fit better in the groove. worked perfectly.. dont know why i didnt think of it sooner. Ok now my problem is i cant get the mower to start up again. Now the only problem was it wasnt starting up from the keyswitch. I was starting it up by jumping the solenoid. I have cranked it up this way. now i have let it sit for a month now. It has a brand new battery. SEems to turn fine but i cant get it to fire up. What can it be? Not enough juice? Could i have ruined something by trying to start it up many times without it actually star ting up? Im heating the solenoid wires up extremely hot so im wondering if there is something minor im missing again before i burn up more wires.. Please post. thanks

Old 09-05-08, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the engine cranking (spinning) when you try to start it, or not doing anything at all?

Old 09-05-08, 08:35 PM
yes engine is trying to crank but im having to jump the terminals on the solenoid because keyswitch is not working. So engine keeps spinning and i got the choke out and pressing on the throttle also to try and get it to turn on. I got it to turn on once this way today but i pushed in the choke not letting the engine run long enough and it killed the engine and was not able to start it up anymore. I have to jump the battery because all this cranking ran the battery down. I definetely got enough juice but engine just cranks and runs down battery. im going to try starter fluid in the choke see if that will help. If not im putting a for sale sign on..

Old 09-06-08, 11:10 AM
ok i finally got the mower running.. sounds good... The fuel pump was plugged off.. No fuel to carburetor. ive cleaned the carburetor tooo.. And fuel pump.. ok.. now its runs BUUUUTTTT..... the center blade pulley on the deck drive i adjusted because the belt was too tight and would keep the engine from cranking up now has too much slack in it.. belt works its way into the groove and when i engage it will run and cut for a little bit then it starts to burn up because the belt is not turning anymore due to too much slack in belt. I know belt has adjustments to tighten up but i cannot tighten up anymore. thats it.. I got it as tight as it will go so i tryed to squeezze the pulley back to its normal size but it will last for a little while then the belt works its way back into the groove from all the rotation... Mower runs great though... so should i deal with this pulley? thing that worries me is will it be too tight to start up mower again if i buy a new pulley? Im thinking about just selling this mower and get one that actually will cut grass. This mower is good for pulling stuff but cutting grass it dont like.. Lol... Sounds like me.... Ok please post ur opinions.. thanks

Old 09-06-08, 06:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The thing should cut grass with no problems. That's what it was made to do, and I never saw a snapper that didn't do well cutting grass. I think you should take it to a dealer or someone who is familiar with mowers and get it fixed. It probably won't cost much, and you'll get it fixed instead of rigged. It's a simple issue I'm sure, but I am limited here on the other side of the monitor.

Old 09-06-08, 08:28 PM
well mower probably would have cut grass with no problems but i modified the center blade pulley by opening it up with channel locks to get some slack in the belt now i cant get it back to where it was at.. bummer.. Im going to try and buy another pulley because mower starts good now.. ill worry about getting the keyswtich to work later but i just want to cut some grass.. Id never thought id sound this eager to cut grass but i want to cut grass... haha.. Im going to try and see if i cant find something that will make up the gap in the pulley to keep the deck drive belt from working its way deep into the grooves....

Thing to think about.. I have this black wire that is on the left side of the engine that act as the kill switch.. If i have the key turned to off and the black wire attached to the engine mower will start and run... But if i have the black wire attached to engine and i swap the keyswitch from off to run it wants to kill the mower.. Also when i have the black wire attached to engine and in off position and i engage blades it kills the engine.. Most times i run mower without the black wire attached. I just let it dangle freely and im able to engage blades.. Also i dont need to be sitting on seat to start up the engine.. So this would leave me to believe keyswitch does work but something else is holding me out. bad sensor? hmmm. just soemthing to think about. .. thanks.. bye