Need help Lawn-Boy model 7268

Old 07-31-08, 09:23 PM
Need help Lawn-Boy model 7268

I am trying to get the muffler off to clean the exhaust port. Here is url for parts diagram.
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/ind...Caller=lawnboy I can't figure out how to get off the plate/coller assy above the blade and below the muffler. There is no set screw... is it screwed on the shaft? It is part#46 in the drawing. It is attached to the drive shaft somehow.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-08, 09:37 PM
Pick a corner, any corner!!!

And hit it with a hammer, the shaft has a taper and it's just pressed onto the shaft from the blade retaining nut. Tap it with a hammer and most of the time they pop right off, although every once in awhile you have to really persuade them, most of the time they come off pretty easy.

Best of Luck...

Old 08-01-08, 11:51 AM
Hey 30yeartech. Thanks! Got it off! It took a little persuasion! Anyway had very little carbon in the exhaust port. This mower has been sitting up for 12 years or so and doesn't really have that many hours on it. I am trying to revive it. I cleaned it up real good. Put new fuel and primer lines and disassembled the carb and cleaned and blew it out real good. I cleaned the fuel tank well and blew it dry. I ran seafoam liberally thru the carb throat and into the spark plug hole and let it sit a day or two while cranking occasionally to distribute the fluid, It was not locked up but I just wanted to clean and lube well. The motor has good compression. I removed the plug and turned on side to let the seafoam drain and cranked on it to remove all the fluid. I cleaned the plug well and I get a bright spark. I think I've covered all the bases well but I cannot get it to even hit a lick! I am running it with 16:1 oil just to begin with would that keep it from starting? I have not tried starting fluid yet. I am afraid of it but that may be just what I need to revive it. Any Ideas?

Old 08-01-08, 01:41 PM
Make sure there is nothing trapped under the reed plates, check your top and bottom crankshaft seals, as long as it's been sitting the seals may have dried out and cracked. I use carburetor cleaner to prime, it's not as explosive as starting fluid.

Old 08-01-08, 09:10 PM
Well it looks more serious than I thought it would be. It won't hit a lick even with starting fluid! I have pulled off the power-head and am going to get it to someone to check the crankshaft seals and reed valve and also the cylinder/rings. at least i have not shot at it yet!

Old 08-02-08, 09:22 AM
Abbynormal;
I loved that story about the guy who shot his mower because it wouldn't start, too bad he got arrested. I'm lucky I don't have a shotgun handy with some of the junk I get involved with. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-02-08, 09:27 AM
On a serious note, I hope you checked the spark before you took it apart, ignition modules on the older Lawnboys seemed to fail quite often. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-02-08, 07:13 PM
Yeah I laughed about the guy shooting the Lawn-Boy. I wanted to do that many times over the years. Yeah it had a very strong spark. Anyway now I have the power head down and am just going to spend less than $60 on rings, seals, bearings, reed valve and crankshaft liner and gaskets so it will be like new when I am done I hope.