Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

McCullough Super Windstream 4 gas blower vac

OH

08-01-08, 09:34 PM   #1  
McCullough Super Windstream 4 gas blower vac

Hello, wonderful site here and I hope I can get the info I'm needing.

I have a McCullough gas blower vac and I need to find out the settings for the 3 fuel adjustment screws on the carb. There is one under the throttle bellcrank and two out towards the intake of the carb for High and Low adjustment.

I'd love to know the magnito to flywheel adjustment .00? , the plug gap, along with those 3 carb screw adjustments.

All my stuff is McCullough and they have the same carb for the most part. That's why I say I'm "McCulloughed Out".

Anyone know of a link, or online tech manual that would have
these settings ? I lost my owners booklet with this info in a flash flood.

Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-03-08, 12:20 AM   #2  
The screw at the throttle is idle speed screw. There is no setting other than fine tune it once you get it running properly for the idle speed you desire.

The 2 screws side by side are air-fuel mixture screws. The closest to the air filter is high speed. Screw it in until it seats lightly, then back it out one turn or so. Crank it up and run it at full throttle. Adjust this screw at full throttle to the point where the engine runs its' fastest, then back it out a hair more until the engine begins to get a little flutter to it.

The screw of 2 closest to the engine is the idle mixture screw. Set it about 1 turn out from lightly seated, and adjust with engine at idle. Run it in until the engine revs higher, then back it out until it stumbles and begins to die, then run it in about halfway between those points and fine tune from there for best idle quality.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

08-03-08, 09:27 AM   #3  
Bless you Cheese ! You just helped me fix about 6 of my
McCullough's. (and countless neighbors McEquipment) They were about to throw all theirs into a big pile and ignite them.

IN

08-03-08, 09:38 AM   #4  
Sparkplug gap for McCulloch equipment is .025

OH

08-05-08, 06:03 PM   #5  
Re:

Thanks again everyone I've got it running once again.

I completely cleaned out the fuel tank, filter, and replaced the
fuel lines. Pulled the carb and went all thru it. Now it starts again, with spray start, and I've got the adjustment screws dialed in and it really runs fine....for about 10 to 12 minutes and then dies. Pulled the new plug and read it and you couldn't want better color on a 2 stroke plug.

I put this vac blower aside a couple years ago figuring it may be the unitized magnito and would have to replace it. But recently I purchased an inline ignition tester which shows it gets plenty of fire to the plug.

I'm wondering about the gas cap and how well it vents. This is after all a 1986 something piece of equipment. Yet it now runs well once it starts and until it flutters out. When I squeeze the triger to throttle it up it responds sharply.

My neighbor just has me come and get his Stihl and do the blowing while he mows on his riding mower. No problem with that but I'd sure }} LIKE {{ to have my stuff to where it runs right, dependably, and anytime I want it to for as long as I need it to. It's had careful use pretty much by me all the time it's been used for an hour or so each week during the summer.

I can blow thru the fuel cap or suck thru it but its not real easy and when I had the fuel filter out It seemed to be clean enough after I cleaned it in fresh gas and paint thinner. The air filter is clean too.

This is as much info as I can think to present.

By the way.....anyone know of a supplier of McCullough parts such as a fuel tank cap, air cleaner, fuel filter and Magnito if I should need one ?

Thanks again for bearing with me on this. I can now use it for
about 10 minutes at a time.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-06-08, 12:46 AM   #6  
When it dies, will it start right back up? I've seen several issues with Mcculloch coils.

God bless!

OH

08-07-08, 02:06 PM   #7  
It just dies

The blower will run for different lengths of time if it starts. I'm tempted to check the fuel filter or replace it. The cap to the fuel tank often bubbles some and pressure builds in the tank. I'm not sure if thats cause it's stored in a cool garage and the warming of the engine brings that on or not.

Recently with the needle settings you gave me I had it up and running fairly well. It doesn't seem to be getting the rpm it once did though. I don't know if that's cause of the magneto to flywheel setting or not. I used a paper match book cover to lay on the flywheel and press the mag to for the clearance. Perhaps that isn't the correct adjustment for the mag ?

Before I stored it and started using the neighbor's Stihl I could start it and use it long enough to blow the grass clippings off the paved areas of the house and get that mostly done before it died. I'd finish with a broom back then. Then a week later go thru the same.

A lot of people say, "just buy a new one" but I've always tried to work on my own stuff and maintain it to keep it dependable.

What compression or vacuum test could I perform. My ignition tester shows the Mag working right. Short of pulling the carb down and cleaning it out again assuming it is dirt clogging it
I'm not sure about crankcase leaks or testing for that.

Any thoughts are appreciated. And again Cheese thanks for your help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-08-08, 12:14 AM   #8  
Check the cylinder bolts to be sure they're tight, and the crankcase cover bolts too. You may need fuel lines or a more thorough carb cleaning. If it has never had new diaphrams installed, that could also be the problem.

God bless!

OH

08-09-08, 10:24 PM   #9  
Re:

I think I'll start with the carb diaphram. I had it appart a couple years ago when I last gave up on it. All the bolts for cylinder and crankcase and everything seemed to be secure. When I've had the carb down about 5 times now since I've owned it....The diaphram seems a bit stiff. I don't know if all that stuff comes in an overhaul kit or the diaphram is sold seperately.

I don't even know where I can get McCullough parts or if the carb is used by other manufactures and their kit would work
just the same.

This carb has only one line, 3 needles, and no primer bulb.

Does anyone know of an online parts manual that would cover
this vacuum blower, or at least the carb.

And as always, thanks again for the help I'm getting here.

I've noticed when the blower quits the spark tester shows it's getting fire. If it had fuel supply it may keep running.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-09-08, 10:36 PM   #10  
It's probably just a Zama carb, and you should be able to get a number off the carb and get a diaphragm for it. If yours is stiff, it's a good chance that's the problem.

God bless!

OH

08-10-08, 10:29 AM   #11  
Re:

Thanks as always cheese..........

I'll pull the carb off and take it with me to a lawnmower shop or Lowes or somewhere that may have a diaphram that will fit it
to replace it's 22 year old original.

I'll let ya know how it works out.

OH

09-10-08, 03:26 PM   #12  
No luck around here

Well, I'm not having any luck in my part of the world in finding a diaphram & gasket.

The carb is a Zuma and on the diaphram cover it shows
M1Z 86P. If there are other numbers on the carb I don't know where they are. Any suggestions of where to look ?

I've checked out the carb for blockage and crud in it and it's clean such that solvents travel thru each orifice.

Since I last posted a guy gave me some material to make a diaphram with. I think it's a bit thicker than the original.

If it starts it will run at low speed or if accelerated it will run and die within a few seconds. This material was used in air brakes and made of neopreme.

Here's what the diaphram looks like:

Are there any good online sources to find parts for this ol' Mac ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-10-08, 11:30 PM   #13  
I don't have any online reccomendations, but I don't think you'll have any luck with the diaphragm material. There should be a metal disk that is an integral part of the diaphragm that would be very difficult to duplicate with any precision.

God bless!

11-01-08, 09:35 AM   #14  
My McCullough blower is acting up.........

I have a problem with my gas blower. I can get it started, but it runs rough and then dies. I'm going to try changing the spark plug. It happened all the sudden. I got this blower at a yard sale for $25. What a deal! Can anyone give me some advice. Any ideas? Also is there any one out there that knows about replacement parts? I don't think McCullough is making lawn equipment anymore? Is that true?

Thanks guys and gals!

Bill
Lemoore, CA.

Search this Thread