Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

(starting problems)+(running problems)

08-02-08, 04:08 PM   #1  
(starting problems)+(running problems)

My lawn mower has a, 4 Cycle Tecumseh 5 HP engine. Over the last few weeks I have noticed a lack of power and roughness when running and then dying when hot, till it would start no longer. Since then I have played, taking things apart ,new gas, replacing solid state module (guessed on gap), replaced spark plug, tightened bolts, and cleaned. Today after many tries ,pulled on rope 4,5 times , never letting engine come to rest, it started . Turned engine off, opened garage door, first pull started ! Ran about 10 minutes than died. For that short time it seemed like it was racing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-03-08, 12:02 AM   #2  
And never started again? Did you have the carburetor off? Sounds like a carb linkage may be installed incorrectly, causing the high speed.

The other problem could be trash in the carb. Remove the bowl and see what's in it.

Smell the oil in the engine. Does it smell like gas? Does gas leak from the mower a little when it is not in use?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread