AYP lawn tractor parts ???

Old 08-02-08, 07:36 PM
AYP lawn tractor parts ???

Hey guys!

My first post here and I did some searching but haven't found much help.

I've got a Model 917 Craftsman 42" lawn tractor that has just been bullet proof. It's into it's 16th Summer of hard work and a right hand Lift Link that connects the deck to the lift broke yesterday.

Much to my surprise the part (#135388) has evidently been discontinued.

Any ideas short of trying to make one myself (which I'm not sure is part of my skillset)?

I can still buy the LH Lift Link and may have to try to alter it to work.

Thanks greatly in advance!

-Roger-

When I get time I also have some 25 hp Kohler questions on my other AYP tractor.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-08, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the link to a machine shop and let them weld it back together for you.

Old 08-03-08, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Take the link to a machine shop and let them weld it back together for you.
Thanks for the fast reply, cheese!

Two problems with that. First I think my local welding shop charges a min of $25 for any job. That just frustrates me that I'd have to spend that or more on a $6 part.

Second, the link broke right where it mounts through the lift arm so it would have to somehow be ground back down to the correct diameter. By the time they do that I'll have $50 or more in a $6 part.

I guess I'll go with my first plan and try to heat and bend a new left side link to fit. If that doesnt work I'll just try to fab a new one of my own design.

I'll let you know how it turns out just in case others here ever have the same issue some day.

Old 08-03-08, 07:05 AM
You might check locally for one from a junk mower. Many shops keep the junk around for parts such as this.

I am not familiar with the item but looking at the illustration could a reasonable copy of it be fabricated from rebar? I have used a torch and rebar to make a variety of parts.

Old 08-03-08, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Airman View Post
You might check locally for one from a junk mower. Many shops keep the junk around for parts such as this.

I am not familiar with the item but looking at the illustration could a reasonable copy of it be fabricated from rebar? I have used a torch and rebar to make a variety of parts.

Yeah, and I actually could duplicate the link with threaded rod, but after studying the load on this thing I decided that a simple piece of 1/4" or 3/16" steel chain will bolt up and perform the lift function just fine. After all, it's just hanging one side of a 42" mower deck. ...and chain is dirt cheep!

Guess I was looking at the problem too hard and was a little thrown off by the part being discontinued.

Thanks guys!

-Roger-