Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs and Statton 12.5hp I/C motor carb issue?

PA

08-04-08, 01:09 PM   #1  
Briggs and Statton 12.5hp I/C motor carb issue?

Ok, I've had this issue off and on a couple times for a year now..

I start the engine and it takes maybe 15 seconds or so before it starts. If it does start lot's of smoke comes through the muffler, and un burned gas. Engine runs rough for a few minutes then stops.

If I can't start the engine, only way I can start it is if I take off the air filter, then the engine starts RIGHT AWAY, and I notice gas actually spit's out of the air inlet. It will run rough for a while then stops again. If I leave the engine sit it might be totally fine tomorrow.

I'm guessing I have some sort of carb problem, and it's flooding the eninge. When it did this last year, I replaced air, fuel, new plug etc,. Looks like the carb is flooding the engine. Here are pic1 and pic2 of the aire filter opening.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mendes9; 08-04-08 at 03:29 PM.

Sponsored Links

08-04-08, 07:50 PM   #2  
Needle valve

Your needle valve is probably sticking. Take the float bowl off. Hold a cup under the bowl to catch the gas. There should be gas flowing out of the carburetor. Push up on the float (the big plastic thing that was hanging down into the bowl) and the gas flow should stop. If gas continues to flow, you need a new needle valve.
If the needle valve has been leaking for a while, your oil may have gas in it. Smell the oil and if it smells like gas, change the oil.

PA

08-05-08, 07:03 AM   #3  
I'm at work now, but I think you are right, when I changed the oil last year, I smelled gas in the oil.. I thought maybe I had a hole in the engine block but engine had power and I checked the oil later and it was fine.. I shrugged it off but now it's making sense. I'm going to replace the needle valve.. and I will post back, and try to post some pictures might help other folks.

Search this Thread