1980's MTD w/briggs 12hp

Old 08-04-08, 05:33 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1980's MTD w/briggs 12hp

Just inherited this mower from my mother...

got a new battery for it then procedded to start it up, the starter would not engage the fly wheel to start the mower, got a new starter thinking this was the problem as the old gear on the starter was chewed a little bit.

just got the new starter and installed it, the rod spins and the gear will not go up and engage the flywheel to start the motor.

wondering if i forgot to do something...

thhnx for the replies

Old 08-05-08, 12:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds to me like you've got the battery connected backwards.

If so, there may be damage to the coil and chraging components as well.

Old 08-05-08, 08:52 AM
J
not too sure how you connect the battery backwards, it has 1 blk and one red lead.

the red is positive and the black is neg

1 red lead to the post on the starter and it grounds when it is attached to the motor...

where would i begin to look for the coils?

Old 08-05-08, 04:51 PM
J
found the model # - 281707 type - 013701

tested the solenoid, had the click on start, got voltage, tested the starter while turning the key, very little voltage was passed through to the starter line. turned the key to look for spark from the plug, nothing as well....

so i have no spark and nothing being passed to the starter from the batt, could it be the solenoid? its the only thing the lead goes to from the starter...

Old 08-06-08, 12:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I know the battery is marked and the cables are color coded...but I see it often enough nevertheless. Sounds like you have yours connected right. (reverse connection makes the starter turn backwards, forcing the drive gear down rather than up).

By your most recent description, It sounds like you have a low battery or poor cable connections. This would possibly allow the starter to turn, but not with enough speed and force to send the drive gear upwards.

There will be no spark at the spark plug until the engine turns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: