Briggs & Stratton 8HP Magneto disassembly

Old 08-05-08, 02:14 AM
Question Briggs & Stratton 8HP Magneto disassembly

Hi, an old engine which I'm trying to put new life into but I'm having trouble fathoming out how to remove the Magneto Flywheel. I've removed the top screen which gave access to a nut on the end of the Crankshaft which I also removed. There now appears nothing to stop the Flywheel being removed but it wont budge. On the flywheel it states do not pry etc., In the center under the nut I removed I can see what looks like 2 thick washers with cut-outs in, although rusted up there appears to be no obvious screws etc., holding the flywheel down. The Model is a 191707 Type 1153

Appreciate any help.......

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-08, 02:59 AM
You will need a flywheel puller, the Briggs site will give you a parts breakdown on your model, oftentimes it will show what puller is needed, they're cheap.

Old 08-06-08, 12:43 AM
Flywheek Puller

thanks Glen, I've a copy of the Parts Breakdown from B&S but it doesn't quote a puller. Had a look on the web and they appear plentyfull in the States (I'm in the UK). They appear to quote 8HP L-Head, I assume mines an L-Head, any chance you can confirm?

Old 08-06-08, 12:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
L-head or OHV, doesn't matter...the same flywheel puller is used. You can also use a steering wheel puller with 5/16" bolts if you have access to one.

Old 08-06-08, 11:37 PM
Smile Result

Thanks chaps, made something up to put strain on the flywheel over the camshaft, couple of taps on the magnet side and it couldn't wait to come off - yours chuffed!

Old 08-06-08, 11:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad you got it!

This should get me to the minimum 25 characters required to post so I don't get the error message again.