Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mower Clog

NJ

08-06-08, 06:53 AM   #1  
Mower Clog

I have a Toro lawn mower that I purchased a year ago. I set the height to a little over 2 inches. I cut my lawn once every two weeks and mulch it right back onto the lawn. When I cut it and run through a thicker section, it seems that the mower gets loud, clogs and stalls. As a result, it leaves a mess of mulched grass in that section.

Does this mean my mower height is too low? I've cut the lawn when the grass was much higher in the past and it never clogged and stopped like it is doing now? Is there something wrong with my mower? Should I higher my mower height? Please help!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

08-06-08, 07:09 AM   #2  
IIRC It's recommended you should not cut more than 1/3 of the total height of the grass blade at a time. IE if grass is 3" you can cut 1".
2" sounds pretty low, but it depends on the type of grass I guess. If yer mulching, I'd prob cut more often to keep the clippings as small as possible

Have the blades been sharpened this season? How about a new air filter?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NJ

08-06-08, 07:12 AM   #3  
Has not been sharpened or air filter has not been replaced.

Will sharpening prevent it from clogging?

Super Moderator

AZ

08-06-08, 07:37 AM   #4  
It will certainly help, as would a slightly higher cut or mowing more often. Also, have you cleaned out the inside of the mower deck? Mulching has a tendancy to build up "gunk" on the underside which reduces mulching action and can lead to clogging.

An old or dirty air filter can starve the engine of air, thus reducing power as well.

Also, hope yer not using last years gas. If so, dump it in yer car and get new gas.

Vic

Last edited by Gunguy45; 08-06-08 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Gas info

NJ

08-06-08, 07:44 AM   #5  
How do I clean out the inside of the mower deck? Is that where you stick the hose into the mower. Do you do that on the lawn or in your driveway?

I did notice a lot of gunk underneath the mower.

My gas is usually new within 30 days.

Super Moderator

AZ

08-06-08, 08:01 AM   #6  
I'm assuming this is a push mower, not a rider.

It's easier on the driveway, but you'll have big green stains if you do. They'll go away after a while with some scrubbing and hosing, but I'd use a not so good area of the lawn.

Run it til yer pretty low on gas, let it cool, then disconnect the sparkplug wire and tilt the mower up on its side, so the gas tank is at the top. Use a putty knife to get all the big built up crud off, throw the junk in a bag or bucket, then hose ithe bottom with a strong spray of water. I sprayed PAM or cooking spray on the bottom of the deck, don't know whether it really helped or not, but it made me feel better...lol.

You can take the blade off at this time (check your manual for the procedure) for sharpening. Any mower shop will do it for maybe $10 (?). What I did was buy another blade so I always had a sharp one. Changed it twice a year, beginning and middle of season. Get a new filter while yer there.

Let the mower sit level for an hour or so before starting, to let the oil all drain back where it should be. May smoke a bit when you restart, but it will clear up in a few seconds.

Oh, some mowers have a fitting on the top of the deck to spray water in while its running to help keep it clean. Not sure if yer's would or not.

Vic

Search this Thread