Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton 675 mower stalls

08-07-08, 05:58 PM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton 675 mower stalls

I've never seen this one before. I have a Craftsman mower with a 6.75 hp engine. Only in its third season and has run great until now. When the mower is level or point down a hill, it starts and runs fine. As soon as there is an incline (only takes an inch or so), it stalls. I get it to level ground again and it starts right up and runs fine. There was a full tank of gas when I started having this problem, so I'm pretty sure that fuel was getting picked up no matter what position it was in. Thanks for any help out there!

Sponsored Links

MA

08-07-08, 06:06 PM   #2  
Post the model and type #'s off the engine, they will be stamped in the shroud or on a label on the side if Tecumseh it will just be a 143.xxxxxxx number.

Does it sputter and stall or just cut out like when you release the safety lever?

08-07-08, 06:23 PM   #3  
This is what I found on the engine label. It's definitely a Briggs and not a Tecumseh.
FAMILY 5BSXS.1901VH and then another set of numbers. I'm not sure what these are: e11*97/68SA*2002/88*0296*00 Does that help at all?
It didn't really sputter much, but it did a little. Kind of depends on the incline. The sharper the incline, the faster it stalls and less sputtering.
Thanks for the help!

08-07-08, 07:08 PM   #4  
I drained all the fuel out of it tonight, went to the gas station and got some fresh fuel hoping for an easy fix (bad gas--I was doubtful that was it). I started it. It ran for about 30 seconds and stalled. Now I can't get it started at all. I'm guessing it's time to clean the carburetor?

MA

08-07-08, 07:27 PM   #5  
A cleaning and a needle and seat may fix your problem. There should be other #'s stamped in shroud above spark plug or on flap over muffler.
Should be model and type

We can then give you some part #'s

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-08-08, 12:02 AM   #6  
I agree, clean the carb. There is likely either trash and/or water in it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread