Pressure Washer Maintenance

Old 08-08-08, 09:16 AM
Pressure Washer Maintenance

I just received a pressure washer that hasn't been used in 5 years. I'm not sure of the make or model but I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what kind of maintenance I would need to ensure starting.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-08, 12:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It probably needs the carburetor cleaned, possibly the tank drained if it has old gas in it. It may need fuel lines if cracked. The oil should be to the full mark, but don't change it yet. Wait 'till you get the engine running and the oil warmed/stirred up to change it. Make sure the pump is full of oil to level.

I would only do what is necessary to get it going, then if it runs and works good and proves to be a good unit, go ahead with other repairs needed.

Old 08-09-08, 08:05 AM
Also make sure you are running water through the pump when you start the engine. With a pump sitting this long, the unloader valve is probably stuck if the pump was not properly prepared for storage. If the pump is an aluminum or zinc cast type, there probably is a lot of corrosion in the unloader assembly. Depending on the pump, sometimes it is cheaper to just replace the pump. With out any model numbers of the pump it is too hard to tell which way will be your best direction.