Tecumseh VLV is beating me, HELP !!!

Old 08-09-08, 08:24 PM
Tecumseh VLV is beating me, HELP !!!

Hey guys, I need your help. I am loosing a battle with not one but TWO, Tecumseh Vector/VLV engines on Sears walk behind mowers. #1 is a Craftsman 917.377690 w/ Eager1 6.75hp 143.006706. last year it started getting harder to start. This year pulled it out and started it on start fluid. I replaced the carb float bowl. Also the breather tube, plug, air filter, and spent an hour trying to find the oil drain plug. It does not have one, trust me. I have also replaced the primer bulb and was very careful replacing the gaskets too. I still had to start with fluid. Once it is running it will stay running and would even restart warm. Weeks later it would start with about ten slow pumps of the primer. Now it will not start with the primer or fluid. #2 is a freinds, Craftsman #917.377591 w/ Eager1 6.75hp 143.986700. He said the is wife was mowing with it and it quit, could not get it restarted even after letting it cool off. I primed it and it started (hard), I made a few passes inmy yard and it quit, would not restart. Recheck the fuel level and quality, all good. I checked for spark, none. Thought it would be the kill switch or wire, both good. replaced the coil with a brand new one, #34443A. I still have no spark - even with the kill wire unhooked. I'm sure I have a bad new coil, but ever time I touch a VLV engine I seem to loose IQ points. Please help me before I loose my mind.

Last edited by donchappy; 08-09-08 at 08:27 PM. Reason: missed something
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-08, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If there is no spark with a known good plug grounded to the engine and the kill wire disconnected from the coil and the coil gap is correct, then the coil is bad.

#1 mower sounds like it may not have spark either. Did you check?

Old 08-10-08, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your post cheese. Yes, it does have spark. looked weak but, it was very bright out side when I recheck it today. One of my uncles was over today and pulled on the rope a few times. He said it felt like it pulled harder than his 5hp sears/tec vector. I had him help me check the compression. This time I had zero compression. Maybe the gauge is bad or something. I will be checking it again. I am really thinking about pulling the head and check for carbon build up. What do you think?

Old 08-10-08, 11:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it has no compression, then the rod is broken or a valve is not closing.

Old 08-12-08, 07:39 PM
Ok, I ordered another coil for #2

#1 - I pulled the head and the valve cover - intake valve has about .005 stem clearance ..... exhaust has NONE !! it looks like the cylinder wall has a little scoring but not serious. I guess I will pull the valves and grind the stems, lap the seats and cross my fingers.

Let you know what happens -

Hey guys .... where can I get tecumseh part numbers and parts ? Besides $EAR$

Old 08-12-08, 11:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most small engine shops should have or be able to get the parts.

Old 08-13-08, 03:15 PM
I got a new coil (another one) for problem child #2. I thought $ears was expensive. Local shop was $10.00 more. Yes, I know ..... I have it today and no shipping charges. Will install Tonight while crossing my fingers.

Then will see about those valve in PC #1

will keep you informed.

Old 09-01-08, 08:41 PM
Well guys, I have both of them running. They both start on the first pull. Both are tucked in at there homes. I guess I was expecting someone here to post back something that sounded like "hey chappy, the common problem for vlv's is ......... . I told a local shop here about the problem and what I found and fixed. He turned to his top mechanic and said "Go check that on the one out back."

So, Thanks for the help, I guess...... The VLV engine has lost.

Old 09-02-08, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
So the coil was bad on the one, and valve clearance on the other?