Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murray Issues!

VA

08-10-08, 11:07 AM   #1  
Murray Issues!

Hoping you fine folks can help me out here. I have a Murray mower(rider), 14.5hp/42" deck/ model# 42910x92a. Well the mower starts and runs but...

issue #1...the cut is uneven, it leaves a ridge in the middle of the cut. And the left hand side of the deck is hanging lower than the right.

issue #2...the motor runs with less power after the blades are engaged, there is a noticeable drop in the power and the engine beat, it goes in and out on its own. There were some patches where the grass was really thick and when it got there the engine speed will slow down (like its about to cut off), when I come off the accelerator it picks up again.

issue #3...it has the correct blade belt but I still think there is too much play in it. HOW CAN I ADJUST THE TENSION ON THE BELT.

The adjustable rod on the left side keeps popping out of its bracket, contributing to issues 1 & 3...how can I correct this.

Even though this is an older machine it still runs, the issues are new bc these issues were not present the last time it was used (couple weeks ago). I still cut the yard but it looks like S#@t. Looks like I am gonna bale hay.

appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links

08-10-08, 05:43 PM   #2  
issue #1 on top of deck on left and right side you have metal threaded rods by disconnecting the pin holding the rods on you can addjust te lenght of the rod to get the deck level.it is possible that the unlevel deck is what is causing the entire issue #1 problen .if ridge is still there after leveling deck.i hessitate to suggest it but you might have the wrong size blades on i have seen it before.

issue #2 it is normal for engin to slow when blades are engaged
rev your engine up almost full throttle before engaging.now if engin slows when in high gras lift blade a slot or two and make 2 passes.you might want to make sure under deck is washede clean after each use

issue #3UNDER FRAME OF MAIN MOWER ON TOP OF DECK THERE IS A ADJUSTMENT SPRING TENSION CONTROLLED THAT YOU CAN ADJUST LOOSNESS OR LACK OF ON BALDE.
HOPE THIS HELPS MIGHT I SUGGEST GOING TO MURRAY.COM AND DOWNLOADING A MANUAL ON YOUR ENGIN THEN GO TO
SMALLENGINES PARTS AND DOWNLOAD A Layout of your model murray.

VA

08-10-08, 08:00 PM   #3  
@twjohnson:
hey thanks man, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I think I've been to that site that gives the exploded views and such.

My blades are pretty banged up, but the correct size. Prior to this weekend's work, the cuts were even and ridge free. As for the engine, I not sure, but I don't think that it is running at full tilt. The blade belt comes off track with the slightest effort, even though it is relatively new, it seems to be too loose on the different pulleys.

I know that adjustable rod was parts of the problem, but it wont take any adjustment. The only position that the pegs fit in the holes is when the adjuster nut is threaded all the way to the end of the threads. This is the one that connects under your left foot and on the bracket near the rear wheel.
The split pin is intact but the other end keeps slipping out its place. I don't know what held this end of the rod in place?

If I can address the two issues I think my problems will end.

08-10-08, 09:00 PM   #4  
A way to tighten the belt even when it's at the end of the adjustment

I had this problem with my 14.5 HP 42" cut Craftsman. The blades would slip leaving high spots. I replaced the belt, same problem. The belt felt loose even though it was new and adjusted to the tightest setting. So I figured all the deck parts were worn after 8 years of mowing over 4 acres and I was going to have to rig it to make the belt tighter. I took the deck off and removed one of the idler pulleys (the pulleys that are not connected to a blade underneath the deck, they just spin to keep the belt tight.) I drilled another hole to mount the pulley in the direction that would make the belt tighter. It worked a little too well; now I couldn't disengage the blades. So I had to make another hole midway between the original hole and the hole I just drilled. This one worked much better and the blades turn fine now.

Obviously, this will only work for you after you figure out what is supposed to be holding the other end of the rod in place. Hopefully the manuals and diagrams will help.

VA

08-11-08, 07:23 AM   #5  
@LB: hey thanks for the suggestion, that would be a last resort, if I can't get this resolved any other way. Will spring for a new belt (third this season) and try adjusting via those adjustment bars and that tension spring that TWOJOHNSON mentioned.

VA

08-12-08, 11:22 AM   #6  
OK folks I found the source of my issues and had it corrected. The deck hanger on the rear left was tearing away from the deck, causing the uneven cut. Had it welded and is now ok. But one issue persists:

Whenever I engaged the blades, the belt(blade) keeps coming of track, what can I do about this?

Search this Thread